Old 01-21-2007, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh oh...
Old 01-21-2007, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default you are so black and white

Two people intependently say from their experience that the RS4 oil pan can't be totally drained with a vacuum extractor, and you continue to not believe us, assuming that we've done something wrong. I even show you through drawings from the repair manual that the dipstick tube comes down in the raised area where the oil temperature/level sensor sits, and can't possibly access the full oil pan depth.

You're amazing. Don't you think that Sparkhill and myself might have tried all the suggestions that you gave? You're much to quick to assume that we did something wrong, especially in light of how generally competent Sparkhill is in other matters.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Look at it this way...

people here say that they can't get oil out thru an extractor all the time, for whatever reason.

now, instead of having a couple examples of it not working when tried, it has been confirmed thru Audi literature that it is not intended for use with the RS4 engine, courtesy of Sparkhill. I asked at least twice, early on, for something from Audi on this.

So, anyone who might have had that question regarding an oil extractor and the RS4 now has their question answered without a doubt. Case closed.

Sure I was being argumentative...to find out what gives.

Your schematics, while excellent, did not ultimately provide that answer.

By the way, I have a lot of respect for your opinion and knowledge. That's not what this was about.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ski35off
I'm contemplating changing my own oil and it looks like using an oil extractor would be a lot easier than trying to lift the car level and draining it through the oil pan drain. I believe a number of you guys have used an oil extractor; my question is does the oil extractor remove as much oil as the drain method and will it do as good a job removing the wear metals from pan? I also want to make sure I get as much of the old factory oil out as possible.
Thought id bring this thread back from the dead, is there a better oil extractor than the Pela 14, that is hand operated??? and able to remove the full amount without emptying it twice?
Old 10-05-2012, 06:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wolfetone
Thought id bring this thread back from the dead, is there a better oil extractor than the Pela 14, that is hand operated??? and able to remove the full amount without emptying it twice?
not that I've seen. I have purchased it twice (I ruined one by dumping it out holding it upside down at too steep an angle, and oil got in the pump up by the handle. Sprayed oil forever after that. Took it apart to clean it etc...nothing worked. Just ditched it and got a new one.

Now...some of the RS4s have a baffler in the oil pan that is there to prevent oil starvation under heavy cornering. If it senses you are cornering hard enough, it closes this baffle to preserve some of the oil on the inside side of the pan. Pretty brilliant.

I say 'some' because some cars have it, some don't. Anyway, this baffle will be the cause of most people's prolems when using a Pela...for whatever reason it prevents you getting the rest of the oil.

Personally I used it on my 2008 (one of the later cars produced) and it worked pretty well (around 9 quarts came out). I filled 9 new quarts and moved on. I also use the drain method every 10,000 miles (dealership does it as I have new car and used car Audicare, covering scheduled maintenance to around 100,000 miles or something) and I do the Pela for more frequent changes in between (ever 4000 miles or so).
Old 10-05-2012, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

You can always add a trap door like I did on the belly pan - if taking off the belly pan is the issue.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When the oil extractor didn't work on my '07 RS4 I was bummed, but now I consider myself lucky to have the extra baffling in the pan.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
When the oil extractor didn't work on my '07 RS4 I was bummed, but now I consider myself lucky to have the extra baffling in the pan.
I believe the 2008 model year ditched it at some point, so 2007 = no extractor but extra baffles.