RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

oil preferences

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 02:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil preferences

I like to find out what oil you all are using.....
I'm in upstate NY and interested what people use
Old 02-26-2010, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Whoopeee another oil thread! I like Pennzoil Platinum Euro Full Synthetic 5W-40 because it's chem analysis has shown that this Audi- approved oil just plain works. Perhaps the better oil - Bio-Syn 5W-40 - isn't Audi-approved, which could invalidate your $25,000 motor warranty. Your choice. However, around 100 laboratory chemical analyses of oils run in the RS4 confirms that the Castrol Syntec 5W-40 is NOT the best choice for our cars.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i use motul xcess 5-40.. imo great oil.

when i bought my car i was burning 1 quart every 2500 miles (castrol syntec).. after switching to motul no longer have to add oil in between oil changes.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Motul Xcess 5/40- here also. No issues with having to put oil in between changes. But then again, I change the oil every 2,500 miles.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
Whoopeee another oil thread! I like Pennzoil Platinum Euro Full Synthetic 5W-40 because it's chem analysis has shown that this Audi- approved oil just plain works. Perhaps the better oil - Bio-Syn 5W-40 - isn't Audi-approved, which could invalidate your $25,000 motor warranty. Your choice. However, around 100 laboratory chemical analyses of oils run in the RS4 confirms that the Castrol Syntec 5W-40 is NOT the best choice for our cars.
Actually all tested VW 502 oils are said to perform poorly in this engine. I am sure PP would fall in the same category.
Interestingly Castrol Syntec keeps getting a bad rap. I think this is unjustified as I have never seen anyone posting actual evidence to back up this statement. My UOA at 3K on this oil showed a strong TBN, additive package and viscosity.
A number of people have posted high oil consumption early on in the life of the car. This tends to decrease with mileage (>10K). If you switch oils at this stage (as oil consumption stabilizes) it is easy to attribute this to the oil.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The UOA's I've seen shows Castrol Syntec to be particularly susceptible to fuel dilution with viscosity index lowering and higher (iron) wear metals. These were compiled into spreadsheet format and numbered about 60 UOA's as of November 2007 which included a variety of 502.00 and non-Audi approved oils. I haven't seen any updates to the spreadsheet since then. This list was maintained by a former RS4 owner RI_RS4.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
The UOA's I've seen shows Castrol Syntec to be particularly susceptible to fuel dilution with viscosity index lowering and higher (iron) wear metals. These were compiled into spreadsheet format and numbered about 60 UOA's as of November 2007 which included a variety of 502.00 and non-Audi approved oils. I haven't seen any updates to the spreadsheet since then. This list was maintained by a former RS4 owner RI_RS4.
What does high iron mean ?
Isn't the cylinder Al-Si ?
60 UOA is a very small number when you factor in cars of different milages and attempt some sort of control for usage, OCI etc.
Have you actually seen the results? If you have them I would love to see them.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Motul is Audi approved, correct?
Old 03-01-2010, 02:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by alvinaus
What does high iron mean ?
Isn't the cylinder Al-Si ?
60 UOA is a very small number when you factor in cars of different milages and attempt some sort of control for usage, OCI etc.
Have you actually seen the results? If you have them I would love to see them.
Sure. PM me your email address.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Albert - I emailed you the most recent spreadsheet containing around 100 UOA's dated 5/3/2008. I too am a bit skeptical of RLI Biosyn oils. Their fuel injector cleaner goes into my RS4 tank at every fillup, however. I like low-foaming Amsoil motorcycle oil for my dry clutch Ducati 1098S and run Motul 300V in my Triumph Sprint ST 1050 because it makes the tranny shift smoother.

Ever notice how your car runs smoother after an oil change? Somebody should write a book entitled, "The Psychology of the Automotive Fluid Change". I'm sure we all could contribute a chapter!

CHEERS
-Bill

Quick Reply: oil preferences