RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Possible new RS4 owner - coming from an M3 - advice needed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RS4freak86
Wow, thanks so much for the feedback BADRS4! I appreciate the comments as well Definitely what I was looking to hear. 2-3 track events are what I do per year, so seems like we are in the same page. I recently bought a home and engaged, so it would be nice to have something with 4 doors that can put a nice grin on my face. I love my m3 and definitely will have a hard time letting it go, but the rs4 does look like a great alternative that is outside the BMW world. Don't get me wrong, I love BMW's and the M cars, but I am a huge car enthusiast and want to try different spectrum to get a well rounded idea of automobiles. I enjoy everything from driving them to washing them. It's a hobby of mine that I really enjoy and helps me put the everyday stress on the back burner for a bit when I am with the car.

Thanks for the feedback on the carbon cleaning. Doesn't seem like an unreasonable amount to have it cleaned. It's a shame this car falls victim to it, but I was expecting a bit more! Also, it's nice to see the cars hold their value pretty well. I remember looking 3-4 years ago at the rs4's while looking for an m3 and they seem to be right around the same price range they are being sold today. Little less, but not much.

Again, thanks for the feedback. Any more input is greatly welcome!
Have you done the valve adjustments on your M3 yourself? Watched my neighbor do them - what a PITA.
Carbon cleans seems to run US$1000 in most places. If you get less then feel lucky. I have seen some places charge US$1.5k. The RS was the first direct injection engine for a production engine and so one expects unforeseen problems.

The weight penalty may make the RS not the car for you. It will not be as good on the track as the E90 unless you are there when it snows or rains.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoaaaa Reggie! You mite scare the guy away! Those carbon clean prices you quoted would be at a stealership. It's anywhere from $5-850 at an Indy shop. And weight penalty on a track? The RS4 does extremely well on the track! No doubt E90 is lighter...but the RS4 definitely out performs on the track! We are a tad heavy but, V8 M3's are pretty close in weight. Our car makes up for the weight with pure power. Trust me we battled many of those cars from older M3's to newer ones. The E90's are great because of the 50/50 balance. But on the straights it won't stand a chance against the RS4. Our Quattro compensates well and makes up for the weight distribution. You'll love the RS4!
Old 07-18-2012, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Wait Reggie did you mean e46 M3? Or e90? He has the e46. That's the one I was referring to, not the e90.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

It does run $1,800 at the DC Metro Stealerships. I've probably done about 10 track days in the last year on my RS. I would admit that I could probably run slightly fast laps in the new M3, but the RS is still loads of fun! This car is brutal on pads though. Stoptech's get me about 2 track days and only about 4-5 on race pads. I chose the RS4 bc IMO it's a better daily driver, so that does come at a small cost at the track. I do think that with coilovers it'll change the game a bit. Having to induce over-steer with the stock DRC by throttle control is fun and an added challenging element but costs a little speed.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What Rims are on your M3. I like the look. I still have the OEM "chrome 19s"
Old 07-18-2012, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Before we all jump on Reggie, I think he has a point. The OP stated he was looking at both E90s and RS 4s. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my RS but I think the E90 M3 might be a wee bit faster on the track. If getting fast track times is high on his priority list then RS4freak86 needs to consider this.

I think as a blend of both worlds (daily driving and track) the RS wins for me. It has such a distinctive look, sound and feel. I have driven a E90 and even though it felt just as nimble as the RS it didn't have same low end grunt or sound. You really need to rev the E90 to get the most out of it.

Again, the RS 4 is a fantastic car and offers more (IMO) then the E90 M3 but if track is key he should drive both.

My Buffalo Nickle
Old 07-19-2012, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Very good point. I did not see where he was considering a e90 V8 M3(I don't know the numbers that well). I was only referring to his current M3. Stock RS4 vs Stock Sedan V8 M3 are pretty even in a straight line. I've seen the RS4 win, by an edge. The M3 always has a slight advantage on track because of the 50/50 weight distribution. Our center is a little bit further north on the car because of the quattro system. However if you're considering more of a daily driver, and depending on what part of the country you live in, (rain, sleet, snow) I would still prefer the RS4 hands down. A simple tune, will put you a little bit ahead in a straight line. And as Gibson said, coilovers(and or sway bars) will help a heck of a lot in cornering to keep the car planted.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Gibson,

NGP in Lorton quoted me around $800.00.

MB
Old 07-19-2012, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yup, they did mine for somewhere around that. But the dealerships are more than double that for some reason.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I have several friends with BMWs and my posting was based on what drives them to make the selection they do - and I wanted to make it clear the difference he would see in going from a Bimmer to a RS4. I hope he posts what his choice would be. Bimmers IMHO continue to be the fastest cars off the showroom floor for great weather. That said you all know why I am here and make the choices I do now (as a ex 73' 2002tii and 85' 325 owner)

I wish the higher prices quoted for carbon clean were for a dealership - these were numbers quoted by indy shops that specialize in Audis in the Denver - Northern Colorado Area. I suspect the low quotes are in areas with more population and are a good example of what supply vs demand can do

Quick Reply: Possible new RS4 owner - coming from an M3 - advice needed!