Preferred oil poll...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll say - that analysis was scary.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:55 PM

Default Re: you really believe that?

Yes - if you use 502 oil, the engine is warranted not to fail DURING THE WARRANTY. 502 is a pass-fail test - don't you want to use the oil with the best score? I'm not saying that the engine is going to explode at 12:01am the day the warrantee expires. I'm trying to make the point that Syntec and some other 502 oils may not fare so well and that, given the posted analysis, the factory interval may be long if you want long-term performance from this motor. If we're confidant in the 502 list why don't we all use Xin Gai Nian's 5W40 made by Beijing Tongyi Petroleum for the life of the car - it's on the list... first page.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I did, and so can these guys. Your faith is terribly misplaced.

Even though it was recommended I change my oil ever 10k, and just to use Castrol dyno oil, I opted to change every 5k and use Mobile1 0w40 then Amsoil 5w40 synthetic oils. Oops, Audi messed up and changed recommended oil to.... Mobile1 0w40!! Imagine that! Thankfully I DIDN'T take the Audi recommended approach and avoided the 1.8T sludging issue.

Still sure they always make the right recommendation? They weigh more than just what is possibly the best product. You know that, right?
Old 08-07-2006, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

you're avoiding the question.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the point is that neither you nor I have the knowledge to make a better decision than they do.

and neither you nor I ever will.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default what motivation would VAG have to recommend a higher oil change interval than YOU think it needs?

think about it....oil service after 5k isn't included in the price of the car anymore. if the oil really needed to be changed every 3k miles, why wouldn't they recommend that?

I think you're making a lot of assumptions based on an oil analysis when you don't really know anything about this engine and its needs.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which is why we have an expert do the oil analysis and make conclusions
Old 08-07-2006, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Actually, the Audi recommendation for OCI is variable

Here is a quote directly from the Maintaince manual, regarding service intervals:

"The intervals shown in this table are based on vehicles operating under normal conditions. In case of severe conditions, such as extremely low temperatures, excessive dust, etc., it is necessary for certain operations to be carried out in between the given intervals. This applies particularly to engine oil changes ...."

Here is a quote directly from the Owners Manual:

"Under some circumstances the engine oil should be changed more frequently. Change oil more often if you drive mostly short distances, operate the vehicle in dusty areas or under predominantly stop-and-go traffic conditions, or have your vehicle where temperatures remain below freezing for extended periods."
Old 08-07-2006, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default not at all

your question was:

"you honestly think the only consideration is getting the engine through the warranty period?"

No, but it is the big legal liability, isn't it? There are legal requirements and those of brand perception. Audi has covered itself technically with the term: "Under some circumstances the engine oil should be changed more frequently." Fortunately, most engine failures occur because of sludge build up and/or excessive wear. This was the reason why the 502 spec came about. It pretty much forced a change over to high detergent synthetic oils, which have solved a multitude of engine problems.

As long as as you are a "normal" driver and don't fall into one of those "etc.-type" severe conditions, any oil meeting 502 specs and recommended OCI's will work.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default he's not an expert on this subject unless he works for VAG/quattro GmbH.

knowing about oil analysis is only 50% of the issue...your oil expert doesn't know anything about normal parameters specific to the RS4 motor.

Quick Reply: Preferred oil poll...