RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Is it really a Bose speaker in my RS4?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: After all this Bose bashing I went down to listen to my old boss' C6 Vette with Bose speakers...

I noticed my ipod gives out much better sound than using sd card. I save songs using apple loseless in the ipod vs mp3 320k in the sd card. Have not tried playing cd in the nav unit though. I think it sound decent. Just need some minor adjustments in the eq but it only has bass and treble.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: This happened on my B5 S4...

Thank you for information. I will tell the dealership about it when they are ready to replace the speaker grille to new one with emblem.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default In response to all the talk on Bose....The quality really depends on the car......

The Bose system in our Porsche Cayenne is quite good, as is the one in our Nissan Maxima.

I have added an aftermarket sub and 250 watt amp to the stock Bose system and the results are nothing short of astounding.

Problem with Bose is basically lack of Bass. If you try and make the stock driver produce bass, they cant do it and it muddies up the mids and highs as well. With the addition of my sub, the stock drivers are free to focus on the mids and highs. I have my treble turned up two notches and my Bass turned down two notches, and the sound is fantastic.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

imo rear projecting cones were a very inventive idea
Old 09-02-2008, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I agree, I just don't think their products quite live up to the hype but thats true with a lot of

manufacturers. I guess thats why they call it marketing.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:03 PM

Default be fair about the system...

your speaker is probably bose, they probably forgot the badge

any audio team working on an automobile undoubtedly puts a fair amount of time and tuning into any project

they might have been limited to certain speaker configurations (by design of the vehicle) or budgets or other reasons etc but i think its safe to say that ANY oem setup can be improved with aftermarket help

speaker placement and crossovers are just as important as amps and speaker drivers themselves

not to mention, sound is very subjective and its impossible to please everyone, or even know what type of music people typically listen to

the addition of DSP's usually helps the situation but they are often not-user controlled, especially in cars...at best you will have basic bass and treble controls

the important thing to realize is that when you go aftermarket, you can tailor to your needs, so of course youll be satisfied

that said, i dont think its fair to say that the Bose system is bad..its not that bad

and the only reason laymen hold bose in such high regards is because they have a very good marketing team...their product isnt that great but it sure as hell isnt bad

btw, i compete with them in another market, so i do have an in depth understanding of the engineering that goes into some of their product

and i also heard from another audio engineer that were about to work with, that auto makers are HELL to work with
Old 09-02-2008, 05:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Be cautious about this.

There is only one factory sound system for the RS 4 with Premium Package, so whatever it was supposed to have, it has. The likeliest explanation for the missing emblem is (a) production variation or (b) door panel or speaker grille has been replaced. Either is possible, but (b) is more likely. These cars get moved 20 times or more before they reach us, and it is entirely possible that some time post-manufacturing, somebody portering the car kicked the door panel and broke the speaker grille. It could have been replaced at the factory, in the port, or at the dealer, and could easily have been replaced with the wrong part. Removing the speaker grille, however (I found out when I kicked one on a previous Audi), is a bear. It is glued into the door trim and it doesn't want to come out. Having learned my lesson once, I would only have it changed if it REALLY bothered me, and only if I could get the dealer to replace the interior door trim panel as a unit, or assured me it would be done by an expert trim guy. My RS 4 Cabriolet, by the way, has no sound system emblems anywhere.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default and I'm fair in saying, my son's Rabbit's basic system is fantastic compared to this...

but we didn't buy this car for the stereo right?
Old 09-02-2008, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Just the rear speakers. ;-)
Old 09-02-2008, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Once you hear the B&O in the B8, then you realise not having BOSE may not be so bad afterall

Quick Reply: Is it really a Bose speaker in my RS4?