RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

RS4: Is it any competition for the M3? (X-Post)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ^^the 2 posts above are getting an awful lot of views in a short time^^...

hmmm, are we gonna have a repeat performance? I hope not, it was sure ugly.

Brace yourself, dxben.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well...

when you write something as absurd as a B5 being unsafe at Autobahn speeds (and crosswinds) due to chassis stiffness, you deserve some criticism.

IIRC, more than a handful of responses against you were from non B5 owners, you brought that one on yourself.

<a href="http://search.audiworld.com/?q=agree&u=52044&s=all&cat=010079&db=1999-01-01&de=2006-12-02">To answer your 2nd paragraph...</a>
Old 12-02-2006, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

What are you talking about?
Old 12-02-2006, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I hear many people calling Porsches glorified VW's...

mostly from Corvette forums and the such.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Well...

Chris, I never said the B5 would be "unsafe". That is your interpretation. I implied it would be less safe than a more structurally rigid body, which the B6 has...and the B7 has again.

I can agree that I was not innocent in what happened. But, I will bet my last dollar that the B5 crowd(your crowd) were alerted in some way. And I can think of no one with a better motive than you.

It seemed that the main sticking point in that discussion, and the one that I was constantly trying to clarify, was the wind(especially cross winds) and its effect on a car at high speeds, aside from aerodynamics and suspension.

Neither you, nor anybody else, ever directly acknowledged that small detail, nor were willing to discuss it. You kept harping on the suspension being the only critical factor outside of basic aerodynamcis.

How about a passenger jet, Chris? Travelling at high speeds through the air with no suspension. Structural rigidiy for aircraft is one of the single most critical factors in its airworthiness and safety. The wind forces, both frontal and lateral come into play in a huge way, I'm sure you would admit.

But, according to you, at 180mph on the Autobahn, it is inconsequential, as long as the car is aerodynamic and has a suspension/chassis capable of handling high speeds. WHAT about the WIND, Chris??!! I'm sure you've heard of those incidents on the Autobahn where cars were blown off the road at high speeds.

So, how does structural rigity come into play there. Well, I agree with you that its effect is probably marginal, all other factors conidered. But, that was my point all along...that while it's not a sole determining factor, structural rigigity will contribut to how the car is affected(or buffeted) by wind forces. And the more rigidity under those conditions, the better.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:11 PM

Default Geez! Look at the views. Suddenly it goes from about 20 to over 300!...

you tell me.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:16 PM

Default agreed

I never appreciated the way AW worked until this past summer. I get it now. I come here because of a limited number of key individuals whom I can count on two hands.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:20 PM

Default Because of Ferdinand?...

Once again we have you just looking at anything to disagree with here(see posts above at top, etc). What is it with you, Chris?

Anyway, no one seriously makes that comparison. It's a humorous dig at the competiton at best.

The last real harping about Porsche being a VW was with the 914's in the early 70's. The non 6 cyl models used an engine right out of a Kharman Ghia, IIRC.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:24 PM

Default Re: agreed

I hear ya. It does seem like negotiating a minefield at times. We all make mistakes or post erroneous information at times, and it's for that very reason that I don't accept self appointed experts holding it all over everyone else. When they slip up, they disappear, don't answer the question. Must feel really good.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Take it back to that thread if you want to discuss it...

but there's no point as it's not something you are going to understand. There's no point in me responding to each of your replies because they're quite off the mark.

I have no idea what you do for a living, but it's likely something I have no clue about. If I naively try to criticize something you've spent years studying and professionally doing, you're probably going to laugh. Keep that in prospective.

In case you forgot, I calculated the difference in torsional deflection using ridiculous assumed wind speeds in that thread.

Quick Reply: RS4: Is it any competition for the M3? (X-Post)