RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

RS4 Cabriolet top not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2023, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I started to think about buying it. Tell me, how expensive is it to repair and how reliable is it?
Old 11-23-2023, 11:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recommend checking the convertible top's hydraulic fluid level and ensuring there are no leaks. Low fluid or leaks can cause the issues you described. Additionally, carefully follow the manual reset procedure again, making sure the top moves freely. If the problem persists, consult a specialized auto repair shop for a second opinion before considering the costly replacement suggested by the dealer.
Old 01-04-2024, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by saqibcsa
I recommend checking the convertible top's hydraulic fluid level and ensuring there are no leaks. Low fluid or leaks can cause the issues you described. Additionally, carefully follow the manual reset procedure again, making sure the top moves freely. If the problem persists, consult a specialized auto repair shop for a second opinion before considering the costly replacement suggested by the dealer.
I was able to pull the fault codes and this is what came up. Just needed a sensor replaced.

Old 05-10-2024, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those interested. No I never figured it out. The car has been sitting in a barn for 2 years now. Not sure what my next move will be.
Old 05-10-2024, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine is working pretty well. A local German shop replaced motor with a used motor (probably wasn’t necessary) and helped me chase all the sensor codes. I spent about 1 grand

Old 05-13-2024, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by wconstan
For those interested. No I never figured it out. The car has been sitting in a barn for 2 years now. Not sure what my next move will be.
That’s a shame. Where are you?
is it stuck open?
I replaced my motor, but the top still sometimes fails mid cycle. Usually it’s the rear lid that doesn’t fully open completely and falls as my roof is going into the trunk. I have had it get stuck open in its hidden position and have had to pop it open with the key in the Center arm rest. I’m sure it’s a sensor, I’ll deal with one day.

Last edited by Billrh; 05-13-2024 at 06:49 AM.
Old 06-25-2024, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The car is located in the north fork of long island. We have already replaced the motor and fluid and it still only opens a couple of inches. A shop looked at is a couple years ago and quoted $4k for the repair. I plugged in my code reader and got nothing except for the check engine light of course. Anyone know any good audi shops in long island? We moved away from our old shop and would like to avoid the 150 mile tow.
Old 07-01-2024, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The car is located in the north fork of long island. We have already replaced the motor and fluid
Hi,
when you say “it only opens a few inches”, is the cover open all the way up and the roof itself only moves up a few inches? Or do you mean the cover pops up a few inches?
Old 07-09-2024, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It is currently stuck in the "up" position. The top disconnects from the windshield and then moves about 3 inches and then stops. I have manually moved the top up and down a couple times before (WHAT A PAIN), and am considering just permanently leaving it down and making this the world's first RS4 "Speedster" as we don't really use the car for daily use anymore, but in reality I would really like to fix this and see if there is an easy fix that avoids a $4000 bill on a car that already has a blown DRC system and needs some other maintenance (it has 130,000 miles on it).
The following users liked this post:
Billrh (07-15-2024)
Old 07-15-2024, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It is currently stuck in the "up" position. The top disconnects from the windshield and then moves about 3 inches and then stops. I have manually moved the top up and down a couple times before (WHAT A PAIN)
Yes, I’ve had to hop in the back seat more than a few times to open and close the roof, not easy.

I just had my roof serviced and it had 2 issues. 1 position sensor needed to be replaced and a new battery. The battery surprised me. The car has always started easily and quickly, but when my mechanic tested the battery the cranking Amps were at only 300. Apparently, the battery is directly used to open the top whether the motor is running or not. This will throw a code and cause conditions like yours. Mine had your symptoms recently. Now all good!
Maybe replace the battery yourself to start, mine was $400CDN from dealer, wanted to be sure of correct strength and longevity for roof.

Keep us posted!