RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

RS4 Owners who have previously owned BMW M Coupes

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That's just the point...

whether it be CLK's, M Coupe's or Roasters, Astons, Porsche 993/997 (not one for 996 body style and honestly wouldn't take one for free) or IMO one of the most beautiful ferrari's ever (baring the old GTO's) the F355...

We all have eerily similar tastes in cars and we vary in age, place in life and occupation.

Find it particularily interesting. These cars are merely 8 out of hundreds that we have all gravitated to or admire and wish to own.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:48 PM

I curently own a 2007 RS4, 2001 S4 and a 2008 M3 w/M-DCT. I mostly dirve the M3 when the roads are dry, the RS4 in the rain and the S4 when I go to urban areas with street parking. All three are tons of fun to drive in different ways. Since I live near Seattle, advantage Audi.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

2005 M3 ex-owner...my first of the European-bred stallions. I loved it when it was in my garage...but got the "bug" and soon began craving more. I test drove a multitude of E92 M3's and 135's...but after driving the subtly sublime RS4, there was no going back. I'm not going to put a car/test drive review on here...just to say the RS4 was a more exhilarating drive and the engine sound and exhaust note sent it over the top. The E92 seemed heavy and unresponsive for some reason, even with driving the different "modes." The 135 was definitely runner up believe it or not. IMO A simple $2k Dinan flash and you're looking at a near 400HP turbo coupe...that makes it a Euro-bargain. Too small and looked too much like a Mazda. All-in-all...there all fantastic cars...to each their own.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Rs4ockies
The 135 was definitely runner up believe it or not. IMO A simple $2k Dinan flash and you're looking at a near 400HP turbo coupe...that makes it a Euro-bargain.
I do believe you! Hence why I have it as a stablemate to the RS4 ;-o)

Still researching what road to take though as far as chip tuning. With so much chatter on the boards (and some real life cases) about BMW renegging on its Dinan-BMW-full-warranty, Dinan is loosing its major trump card. I may go with a piggy back Visnhu or JB 'black box', 1/2 the price for even more gains, and easily 'diguised' when visiting a dealer. And Active Autowerks have some neat things coming up.

RS4 FTW!!!
Old 05-14-2009, 10:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Tell me you don't have seller's remorse? I would, and of course do as to my CLK55. I have a friend who owns a CL63 and traded in the same model CLK55 for it that I did for my RS4 and also wishes he had not sold that car. We have some nice cars in our stable and are adding some exotics to both of them, but every time we get together we talk about our CLK55s like it was a hot girlfriend we wish we had not broken up with.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ibis. I agree with you on the F355. It was the model that replaced my 348, which I liked, but needed some improvements. The 355 provided that and them some. I almost bought one recently ('99 355F1 Spider), but am probably getting a much newer 360 Modena Spider instead, for a number of reasons, but not for its looks over the 355. Incidentally, I noticed that 348's are selling for the same price I sold my for 10 yrs ago. Curious.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's strange, I agree. While not in the market for either right now ...I still enjoy both the 348 and 355 from afar. Saw a black 348 tbs this morning and it dropped my mouth. I just don't see that many and on a day after I saw 3 RS4's (one driving right past me at Yonge & Bloor), that 348 was glistening. The 355 is a different car and I'd personally take one over a Modena, having not driven either, however! One day I will buy a Black 355 F1 Modena.

You would be a better judge of that having driven/owned some of those classics.

I'm just an ex VW/BMW/AUDI guy that has redone a couple of old GTO's for the experience. If I had all the money in the world, I'd never own all the cars I'd want to. There isn't enough time.

Originally Posted by raptorduck
Ibis. I agree with you on the F355. It was the model that replaced my 348, which I liked, but needed some improvements. The 355 provided that and them some. I almost bought one recently ('99 355F1 Spider), but am probably getting a much newer 360 Modena Spider instead, for a number of reasons, but not for its looks over the 355. Incidentally, I noticed that 348's are selling for the same price I sold my for 10 yrs ago. Curious.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IbisRS4
The 355 is a different car and I'd personally take one over a Modena, having not driven either, however! One day I will buy a Black 355 F1 Modena..... If I had all the money in the world, I'd never own all the cars I'd want to. There isn't enough time.

Owning an F355 berlinetta in manual, a 360 CS (comes only in F1 w/no auto setting) and an RS4 Cab, while babysitting an F355 Fiorano F1 Spider, I can tell you these are totally different animals. Have driven the regular 360 as well in both coupe and Spider. It really depends what you want from a driving experience, your past experiences, and how much pain you can stand;-)

First of all the 348 and F355 are utterly different animals. Which is right for you depends on budget and how hard you drive. The 348 is a decent car but the Acura NSX will eat it's lunch. The F355 shines brighter when pushed on the track or other venues where the limits are explored and compared. However, make sure the valve guides have been replaced on the F355, or a big bill looms. It's by far the biggest issue.

I don't mind the F1 system in the Fiorano (special edition F355). It's not my first choice, and it has some well documented flaws, but if you know how to drive a stick well, you can stay out of trouble (replace clutches, etc) with it quite easily. Just don't drive it like an auto.

The 360 Spider is a sweetheart. But the suspension is softer, and you will bottom out if pressing hard. However, if this isn't your style, then the Spider is a great way to enjoy the world around you and the sounds coming from the rear. The coupe is much the same but with a stiffer suspension that can get you spun around if you forget the low polar inertia of a mid-engine design. I find the F355 gives more warning.

The 360 Challenge Stradale is an entirely different beast and best suited for track duty. The suspension is punishing on rough roads (and there is no soft setting like in the F355), and the F1 does not offer an auto mode. Put it on the track and the limits are so high you'll scare yourself silly (and pass everything else there as well) before you even push the car hard. It's very much of the school of the older Porsche turbos that require familiarity and a gradual approach to wring the best from them. Make no mistake though, that if you understand weight transfer and chassis dynamics, it is extremely rewarding.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Very insightful observations on the 360 and 355. Thank you. I always liked the way my 348 drove. There were lots of cars that could out run it and out handle it, but that was not why I bought it. I drove a few 355s when I was looking and they had taken all the things out of the 348 that I did not like and the 355 was a more beautiful car.

But then I drove a few 360's and that is what made me consider that model. I think they are beautiful, but not as beautiful as a 355 Spider. But then again the styling is so different they should not be compared. The 355 is more classic looking whilst the 360 more agressive and foward looking. I have driven some 430's as well recently and Labo Gallardo's as well as I considered those. The Lambo was a different animal and not suited for my purpose (or skills). The 430 was more refined than the 360 and prettier. I think the 430 is to the 360 what the 355 is to the 348, a marked improvement. But there is still to much demand for 430 spiders in a soft economy and I am happy to drive a late model low mile F360 spider for a while and then move to a F430 spider in a couple years after its replacement has softened its market some.

On a motorcycle I have some high end skills from years of racing them and can push them to their limits. In a car I am an above average driver, which is to say I am nothing special, so much of your observations would be lost on my skill level. I will never track a car I own, have only done two track schools, and plan to drive my replacement to my RS4 not to horribly hard on my twisty single lane mountain road commute to work. I will probably drive it softer than I did my RS4 on that same route. After all, it probably won't handle as well and it will be easier to kick the rear end out; which was impossible in my RS4 and is easy in my M-Roadster. I moved to top down weather where my M-Roadster never has its top up or has ever gotten wet so another open air fun car is the right replacement for the wet weather supercar the RS4 was.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:28 PM

I've had THREE. A 098 in Red, 01 in White, and 07 in White. Would like to have one again, but won't give up the RS4.

Quick Reply: RS4 Owners who have previously owned BMW M Coupes