RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

RS4 Review - long

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS4 Review - long

2007 RS4 - a new owner's perspective

OK, a very new owner - I've had the car less than a week, and I'm sure the journey has just begun. I'm looking forward to many years and many miles of fun with this amazing machine, so more reports may follow later, but this report is about first impressions.

I'm not an automotive journalist; I'm an Audi enthusiast. I'm a self-confessed piston head, having cut my teeth on the American muscle cars of the `60's. I survived the first fuel crisis of the `70's and the 55 MPH speed limit that ensued. I've had more speeding tickets than I can count, but through it all, I never lost my love for cars. I'm older now, but I'm not old. The RS4 is part of a natural progression of the cars I've owned.

So enough about my history and credentials - such as they are. What about the car?

The Machine - 2007 RS4 - Avus Silver, Ebony Interior, Premium Package

Let's start with a little walk around the outside of the car. As more than a few have said, pictures just don't do it justice. It is absolutely stunning in person. At the dealership, it was the absolute center of attention. Even amongst the Porsches and more expensive Audis, it was like a light to moths. People just swarmed to it. I wanted to tell people to step back, but I resisted.

My friends and family are unanimous in their opinion of the looks. Amazing. It doesn't have the "hey look at me," flash of a `Vette or Viper - it has a sleek sophistication that used to be the hallmark of BMW (pre-Bangle). Sure, it's based on the A4, and the A4 is a beautiful car in its own right, but the RS sets a new standard in understated elegance and class.

Color choice is a very personal matter, but for me, Avus Silver is absolutely perfect. It is, in and of itself, also understated. I don't think you could go wrong with almost any color, but Avus just seems to fit this car perfectly. As someone else described it, it is almost chameleon like, taking on the subtle hues of its surroundings. I've seen it look almost sky blue, and medium pewter in the space of about 10 minutes. At dusk it almost glows a kind of molten silver as it transforms to a slightly lighter cousin of the Daytona Gray. I debated long and hard between Phantom Black and Avus. I'm glad I made the choice I did.

The much-debated B7 front end looks perfect on this car. It is an aggressive design statement - no doubt, but this is an aggressive car. It fits. The fender flares, subtle trunk spoiler and 19 inch wheels complete the look. There's no contrived nonsense to attract the twenty-something crowd. Thank God.

Entering the car won't disappoint even the most discerning enthusiast. It is so well thought out that I rate the ergonomics as good as my wife's SAAB 9-5 Aero - and SAAB knows ergonomics. Everything falls into place perfectly. Controls are of excellent quality and feel (unlike the new Mercedes line). Fit and finish is perfect. The leather is soft and supple.

As far as the seats, steering wheel and start button, I can certainly say that I don't miss them. Sure, the steering wheel would have been cool, but the start button is absolutely superfluous to the car. I've turned the key to start every car I've owned. In fact, the only vehicle I've ever driven that used a start button was a yard tractor. 1965 Cub Cadet, I believe. From what I've read, the euro seats are great, but their unavailability is something I'll probably never miss.

I've heard complaints about the audio system, but it's as good as any factory system I've heard. I'm not looking for bass response that will shake the cars next to me, but if you are, you might be adding a sub. Wait; just get a WRX from one of those twenty-somethings. I'm sure they've already hooked it up.

The Nav system is the equal or better of any I've used, but my experience with them is limited. I'm still learning the bells and whistles, but basic use is simple and intuitive - the antithesis of Bimmer's I-Drive.

The only problem I've had is in uploading my phonebook via the Bluetooth connection. I'm not sure if there's a compatibility problem with my Blackberry or if I am missing a programming step somewhere in the Blackberry. The manual says the transfer "should be" automatic. Actual phone operation is slick, with excellent transmission and reception quality.

I thought that the rear sunshade was only a gimmick, but I've found that I like it for helping to keep the car cool, and cutting sun glare in the mirror.

OK, but how does it run?

As reported elsewhere, the sound of the engine is simply intoxicating. Even without the S mode engaged, anyone who knows anything about engine noise instantly recognizes something very special. Casual bystanders take note as well. Enable Sport Mode, and the sounds are taken to a whole new level.

On the second day I had the car, I was passing a golf course on my way to work - pretty much minding my own business, following a reasonable break-in procedure running it to about 4 grand through the first 4 gears when I noticed 4 guys on a tee box following my progress toward them. They were probably 400 yards from me when I started from a stop sign, and maybe 175 yards away when I saw them. As I passed, I clearly saw one of them mouth "Holy ****!" That's the kind of stuff it does to people. I love that part!

Now mind you, I've got just over 300 miles on the RS, so I really haven't explored any real limits yet, but I can already say that this car is everything I ever dreamed it would be and more.

Acceleration at half (plus) throttle is smooth and powerful. The handling is taught and predictable. I don't know if I'll ever track the car, but the twisties that I play with are about to be taken to a new level. It is absolutely flat at the speeds I've driven.

There is a nice little "S" turn near a friends house that is "challenging" at 40 mph in many cars. The first time he and I went through it, we exited at almost 90 without apexing. My buddy described it as "slot car like". That's a pretty good description. Now before anyone lectures me about the dangers associated with that turn, believe me, I don't drive that way in traffic situations. This is a country road with long visibility. The only danger was my consenting friend's and mine, and frankly it didn't feel dangerous at all in the RS.

As others have said, it there's a problem with the car it may be that it's too easy to drive fast. My coworkers started a pool about my first warning and/or ticket. I'll show them!

A few more miles and we'll see how 6000 RPM feels.

As I said, I have a history of fast cars, the most recent being a Stage 1+ B5 S4 (that I still have in the garage). The B5 is a fast car in its own right, but there really is no comparison between the two car's ability to go fast. Does that make sense? There is no turbo lag in the RS. It just builds speed - VERY quickly and smoothly. Some have said that the old S has more of a kick-in-the-pants pull, but I think the RS feels much faster. Sure, some Stage 3 builds probably are faster, but frankly Scarlet I don't give a damn.

Realistically, there will always be faster cars. That's OK. Faster doesn't necessarily mean better. In my opinion, the RS4 is a better all around car than anything I've seen and driven it its price range. It's a better car than many that are more expensive.

To me, the RS4 is the ultimate driving machine - sorry BMW, I've driven your cars too, but none of them equal this car.

Now, I've got to find an excuse to go to the store. I think I'll make it a store that's about 30 country miles from here...
Old 06-13-2006, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Nice review, thanks!
Old 06-13-2006, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Nice review, thanks!

ditto. I have just got back from my Audi dealer having put down my deposit. Car should arrive sometime in Sept / Oct. However committing to so much money on a car always makes you second guess the choice - especially when there is an A8L for roughly the same price sitting on the showroom floor - or a new wing you could build onto the house. Your post reinforces that i made the right choice.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default well done, right on the money.

regarding your Bluetooth issues, you might have to power-off your phone and then power back on (while the ignition is on) to get it to pair up. My phone (Motorola RAZR v3) paired up w/o having to do this, but my wife's phone (identical to mine) needed a power-off to get it paired. Also, it takes several minutes to download the phonebook....depending on its size. Mine is small, yet it still took 5-10 minutes before everything was loaded.

I think I must be the only person in the world who likes i-Drive....the position and size of the controller just feels better to me. Also, the positioning of the Nav screen is worlds better. However, I think the navigation itself works better in the Audi.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the excellent review.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

great post, I couldn't agree more, thanks!
Old 06-14-2006, 12:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: RS4 Review - long

Excellent review. Thank you.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Damn you - now I'm thinking of replacing my A6 with an RS4 (must not budge, must not ...) -
Old 06-14-2006, 08:15 AM

Default Thanks for the review...

but don't be a hater on the "twenty somethings," not all of use drive WRX's and have large systems. Some of us do have good car class.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

by large you are the minority

Quick Reply: RS4 Review - long