RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

RS4 Steering Wheel Coding (Bob W. this might be what you were looking for)......(edit)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm not taking sides here...but how the hell would you know if there was a problem?

Did you actually test it?
Old 12-04-2006, 02:01 PM

Default A few reasons, first Europrice are full of ****...

And second I work whit Audi electronics, and finally why the hell should the A8 have another airbag just because it's an bigger car?? that is just stupid!
Old 12-04-2006, 02:54 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 243 Likes on 196 Posts
Default You need to do a little more digging into Audi's parts catalogs and studying '96 up...

as to how Audi fits airbags and controllers. I've run through this multiple times on this exact subject and quite early on dicussed using the A8 US spec airbag in this application, which is not correct and I will stand 100% behind that statement.

If you scan your catalogs you will find a multitude of airbags for each chassis that correspond to each motor type for that chassis. You will not find an airbag that crosses a motor boundry or a chassis boundry, even though the exact same steering wheel design is used all across Audi's product line, you could easily fit an A3 airbag into an A8 or vice versa if you chose to. You will also notice that every chassis has ONE airbag controller per region (US or RoW) that works with all motor types. This airbag controller does not cross model boundry either, but does work with multiple motor types.

In the current model line up, from the A3 to the Q7, including A4, S4, A6, S6, A8 and RS4 all use the same design steering wheel. Now you will find that _not_ one single airbag crosses from one chassis to another, they do not even cross to different motor types with the same steering wheel. Now if you look at airbag controllers EACH chassis has ONE unique controller that works for all models and all steering wheel types for that chassis only.

Audi designs the airbag to suit the chassis and motor type. Now as you mention, why would Audi change the airbag for a bigger car? Well if you look at your lineup of just A8 airbags you will find there are even different airbags for the 8 cylinder and the 12 cylinder. If you look in the A4/S4 catalog you will find different airbags and their program codes correspond to their engine type. You will also notice that the A8 and A4 use the same exact steering wheel in the US from the factory, but they do _not_ use the same airbag, an A4 2.0t does not use the same airbag as an S4 4.2, nor an A8 V8, nor even an A8 W12. They all have a unique airbag to their motor type.

Just in case this isn't making sense (2007 US spec lineup, 3 spoke multi-function steering wheel):

A3:
2.0t Airbag - 8P0 880 201AM
3.2 Airbag - 8P0 880 201AJ

A4/S4/RS4:
4.2 Airbag - 8E0 880 201CP
2.0t Airbag - 8E0 880 201DF

A6/S6:
V6 Airbag - 4F0 880 201S
V8 Airbag - 4F0 880 201AL

A8/S8:
V8 Airbag - 4E0 880 201AB
W12 Airbag - 4E0 880 201BA

Now I fail to see one part number that crosses a chassis boundry or one number that is even the same for different motor types in each chassis. Each chassis has a unique controller that is region specific. The US and European market now share all the same airbags for each chassis and motor designation that we share, though there are many more motor options in Europe and you will find more airbag differences inside each chassis in Europe.

I'm sorry there is absolutely no evidence that fitting an A8 unit is safe for a smaller A4 chassis vehicle, or vice versa. Even models all the way down to '96 follow this same exact pattern. Also folks running the RS4 unit with older models, pre dual igniter, are gambling as well as their controller is not designed to properly fire a single or dual charge, it is designed to fire one charge. The controller does NOT determine the speed of the airbag deployment, the airbag charge size does which is why each airbag differs for each motor type inside a chassis and these airbags do not get scattered around all of the models lines as illustrated above.

Now as for using a proper European spec RS4 airbag with a US spec RS4. The controllers are region specific and chassis specific, the European RS4 with the standard multi-function steering wheel uses the exact same airbag we use in the US, both with different controllers. As long as the controller stays with the chassis and the proper airbag that is designed for that chassis and motor type is used the system remains properly functional. Now you may not get a code using an airbag designed for a different chassis/motor in one of these cars, this is only because the system only looks for proper resistance, it has no method of checking what airbag is actually installed, just as long as one is installed that shows the proper resistance.

Cheers,

Old 12-04-2006, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

yeah, you really sound like you know what you're talking about
Old 12-04-2006, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Alex, question for you based on that information...

Since there is no airbag for an RS4 wheel that is for the 2.0T engine, would you also consider that putting an RS4 airbag in a 2.0T A4 would be unsafe?

I had never considered this before. I'm interested in your thoughts.

John
Old 12-04-2006, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thread hijack... John that's a beautiful picture in you sig and I also saw it in your pic poster...

Questions...

Where was it taken and is it at all photoshoped?
Old 12-04-2006, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

y0 dawg. He work whit dis shiz.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default As I've recently learned...Just b/c the Audi part system says different part #'s are used doesn't...

mean that they are actually different or needed.

For example, I originally planned to purchase an additional set of headlights for the clear corner mod and discovered that the RS4 vs. S4 vs. A4 have different part #'s. Yet, the RS4 and S4 have the same exact features and work the same exact way with no issues. I tested this with a local friends B7 S4.

I still beleive that the Euro RS4 airbag is probably the best option for safety, but there is no way to confirm that or if the A8 one is dangerous.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:58 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

I would not use a V8 designed airbag in a 2.0t, a 2.7t, etc

Old 12-05-2006, 08:11 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Default All headlights for B7 are the same P/N if their functions are the same, curve lighting, bi-xenon...

etc. Non-curve lighting headlights do not have the same function as curve, nor halogen. Now if Audi fits the curve headlights into an S4 and disables their function that is a different story. That is common, Audi tends to build cars similarly and then option the electronics differently, especially the newer build cars.

In fact Audi airbags are designed for motor and chassis type, this is confirmed by multiple people at that work with Audi, including two parts dept heads, both of which have been trained at "Audi University" for a myraid of subjects.

Part numbers vary based on build, they also vary on what is included with a part (ie some parts come with nuts/bolts/studs/plugs/wiring/etc and others do not), revisions, functionality, etc. Audi very rarely sends the same exact part out under multiple part numbers. Occasionally you will find a VW equivalent which is the same or very similar part with a VW part number, however that is cross make.

Cheers,

Quick Reply: RS4 Steering Wheel Coding (Bob W. this might be what you were looking for)......(edit)