Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May as well just put a V6 on a go-kart.lol
Old 01-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

As my A4 is getting up there in age, I've debated replacing it with an RS4 or M3 for quite a while.

I've test driven both a few times.

Saying the RS4 is better built than the M3 is nonsense. The M3 has excellent build quality, right up there with the A4/S4/RS4. And, unlike the RS4, the M3 does not have chronic engine issues (see: Carbon Buildup). Or chronic DRC issues.

The M3 is lighter than the RS4, and is also quite a bit more powerful. RS4's have in general proven themselves to be quite overrated from the factory. I don't think they're putting down any more than 380hp at the crank. From a handling perspective, no doubt, the M3 is superior as well. I was pretty blown away by my test drives (drove it anger, on backroads).

You'll never outrun your friend's DCT-equipped car. It'll click off high 12 second quarter miles all day.

In the RS4's favor of course, are aesthetics (it's still beautiful), the sound which the M3 can't match, and of course...quattro.

It sounds like I may be favoring the M3, but I'm not, just evaluating my experiences. I'm still quite torn, but hope to resolve the dilemma in the next few months.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

I don't think anyone was questioning the build quality of an M3 or the fact that it's faster than an RS4 with equal drivers in each car. At the end of the day that choice just come down to preference. Most people aren't buying these cars to race so that stuff doesn't matter much for most people. M3's r nice, we have just chosen the RS4 for exclusivity, you see at least 10 M3's to every RS4, and daily driveability, which is debatable. I personally prefer the RS4 over a manual m3 which felt very uptight to me. Beyond has their own opinions so get whatever makes you happy.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Saracen
As my A4 is getting up there in age, I've debated replacing it with an RS4 or M3 for quite a while.

I've test driven both a few times.

Saying the RS4 is better built than the M3 is nonsense. The M3 has excellent build quality, right up there with the A4/S4/RS4. And, unlike the RS4, the M3 does not have chronic engine issues (see: Carbon Buildup). Or chronic DRC issues.

The M3 is lighter than the RS4, and is also quite a bit more powerful. RS4's have in general proven themselves to be quite overrated from the factory. I don't think they're putting down any more than 380hp at the crank. From a handling perspective, no doubt, the M3 is superior as well. I was pretty blown away by my test drives (drove it anger, on backroads).

You'll never outrun your friend's DCT-equipped car. It'll click off high 12 second quarter miles all day.

In the RS4's favor of course, are aesthetics (it's still beautiful), the sound which the M3 can't match, and of course...quattro.

It sounds like I may be favoring the M3, but I'm not, just evaluating my experiences. I'm still quite torn, but hope to resolve the dilemma in the next few months.
Time out....First of all you are comparing a 2010(or newer) M3 to a 2007 RS4...this is NOT apples to apples....When B7 RS4 was made, there was NO M3 made at that time...and the previous M3 wasn't a V8! So the RS4 was 'faster' and handled better than the M3 at that time. Since then, BMW has gone back and done their homework to again battle the RS4. Of Course they decided to tweak their M3 more and apply the V8 to beat the RS4 (Audi and BMW compete all the time)...

However, when you talk about handling, it definitely comes down to personal preference...my girl drives a 2007 335i (which is one step below a M3) and when I drive it, it's nice to drive a different car sometimes, but the handling of a RWD car compared to my AWD RS4 is VERY bad in comparison. I don't feel as safe and in control at high speeds...and in turns, the rear wheels slip out very easily. I enjoy powering into turns in my RS4...I cannot do that in the BMW. Also, I don't like the seats in the BMW (and she has the sports package just like the M3) Overall the RS4 (in my opinion has a much more solid feel, and you feel more in control and more in touch with the road). Don't get my wrong I love BMW's. I actually picked out her car for her. But, I could not see how anyone could say the BMW handles better than the RS4 at all.

As far as the guy at my gym in a race. It would definitely come down to the driver. I've seen this guy drive and talked to him and he's clearly not very knowledgeable about cars or performance. So, I'm pretty sure I would beat him.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Here's a nice video of a M3 driver test driving the RS4 in 2007...also we do get 420hp at the crank..not sure where you got that from...its proven!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svyuvw9iqoU
Old 01-26-2012, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

We have a laptimer?! I need to open my manual.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default m3's are nice, but...

but RS4's are the shiite! who cares about bmw's this is an Audi forum
Old 01-28-2012, 10:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Exactly!!!!! I love my car!!!!!
Old 01-29-2012, 04:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Saracen
unlike the RS4, the M3 does not have chronic engine issues (see: Carbon Buildup). Or chronic DRC issues.
lol carbn isn't a huge deal, and JHM has developed a solution for it. Non issue. DRC has been redesigned, and works well. Non-issue. The M3 has it's share of problems, as does your A4. How are your cam follower issues?

hmmm...lets see what my 'chronic' carboned up 33,000 mile 2008 RS4 that is 'heavier than the M3' and making about '380 hp', some 34 less than the M3...was able to do at the dragstrip with a mediocre driver (me)

Oh wait...was that a high 12 second quarter mile run I jsut saw? One of about 10 I managed at 13.0 or better? With a 1.9 60 foot (a.k.a. I left about 2 tenths on the table)???
Old 01-29-2012, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sakimano
lol carbn isn't a huge deal, and JHM has developed a solution for it. Non issue.
Just had a look on the JHM website and I can't see anything in relation to this.

Does this product exist, and if so, why isn't it on their website?

Quick Reply: RS4 vs. M3