RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

RS4 vs. M3

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 07:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's called the carbonater, and everyone is still waiting for it.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

So I just raced this 335is at a light all the way up to 4th gear and I had a car lead on him the whole way. Pretty sure its a Automatic "tiptronic" (although I'll find out shortly as we are meeting up and going to a german performance shop). Now this could have just come down to be being a quicker driver. But I'm thinking if I barely beat this 335is than the V8 M3 should be a challenge. But I'm still looking forward to the challenge! LOL
Attached Images   
Old 02-04-2012, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

335's scare me because they are too easy to mod and still look/sound completely stock. They have a chip for them now that gets them to 400hp. My buddy just sold his modded 335i for a new M3, he had the boost cranked up on it and it was already faster than the M3.

On a side note, I rode in a c63 again yesterday...what a beast. I know the numbers say it's not much faster than our cars really, but my *** tells me much different. The Washington Auto Show is going on this weekend here in DC, and they have a CTS-V arrive and drive from 10-5pm tomorrow so I might go and take a spin in that beast. Despite any of this, I still wouldn't even think about trading the RS4 for any of these cars.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yep these 335's are very sneaky! This guy has a 335is which means his has like an extra 30 hp over the regular 335's and it has some type of torque booster and it has dual clutch automatic transmission. We actually made friends and he followed us up to a Euro performance shop and he wants to chip his car. We ended up doing like 5 drag launches and each time we (the RS4's) would launch with so much better traction and leap ahead of the Beemer....however, the gear changes are so quick on the BMW that he can start to gain on us if we're not on point with our driving. We had a fun day! I'll post a video of the launch...
Old 02-04-2012, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFIvj...e_gdata_player

We did more of these where you could see the BMW's wheel spin and the RS4 would get ahead. This time the BMW didn't use Launch control and they were pretty much neck and neck. However when I raced him, my tires were performance tires so the wheels would stick much better than gibson's all-season tires. Today was a fun day of racing! LOL But when the 335is get's his chip it can be faster than the M3!
Old 02-04-2012, 12:45 PM
Banned

why is the rs4 driver taking each gear to redline? to be slower?
Old 02-04-2012, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Because every time you shift the RS4 the Bimmer closes the gap so if I do more shifting which would be necessary if I short shift, I'm not so confident I'd win. Especially with my A/S vs his grippy summers. He also rolled the start so even less room for error.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Saki are you suggesting he should be shifting before he reaches the redline? I don't really get what you are saying....If he did shift say at 6000 rpm..he would have gotten smoked! So what do you mean exactly?
Old 02-04-2012, 01:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gibsonl
Because every time you shift the RS4 the Bimmer closes the gap so if I do more shifting which would be necessary if I short shift, I'm not so confident I'd win. Especially with my A/S vs his grippy summers. He also rolled the start so even less room for error.
you bounced off the rev limiter which is way worse in a race anyway so there goes that theory

also, you're not going to get in one less shift by pushing each gear deep to redline unless you're only racing to 72 mph (which is where 2nd redlines)

Your car starts to fall off pretty hard past 7250-7500 so you should be shifting around there. . And nobody said he should shift at 6000. Just not at 8250 which is what he did. 7500 is best.

Here's a log showing a pull in 3rd gear. As you can see, the car is moving through the RPMs per second very nicely (RPMs/sec is the red highlighted column) but once you get deep into the 7000s you're falling off. You want to shift before that to stay in your powerband, not where your car is starting to fall on its face. Unless you were carbon cleaned 2 months ago, your top end is probably further inhibited by carbon buildup. Not crazy, but just enough to be another good reason to shift around 7500.

All of the fastest all motor RS4s do this. I guess you guys could try shifting at 8250 if you like. At least now you know what is fastest and are making the decision armed with all of the information necessary to make the best decision.

You can see the torque reading as well showing this...(far right)

Last edited by sakimano; 02-04-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm not so sure I was actually hitting the rev limiter but if you say so OK! I did power shift once so maybe that's what you heard. I had a carbon clean about 2 months ago and I do actually still get an acceptable pull around 7500+. I'll certainly try shifting lower and see what happens.

Quick Reply: RS4 vs. M3