RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Slipping the clutch ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slipping the clutch ?

So I was driving out of a friend's house, climbing a crazy steep narrow driveway: the car crawled up very slowly while I could hear the engine revving. Whole thing took 5 very slow seconds but by the end I started smelling this burn odor, almost like brake smell. SO I'm assuming I was slipping the clutch.
first time ever. the smell stayed with me for like 10 minutes. Funny thing I could still smell it two hours later if I leaned and smelled the brake discs on the driver's side , but not the other side (??).
Should I be worried? car drived normally...
Old 04-17-2010, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by airbus9
So I was driving out of a friend's house, climbing a crazy steep narrow driveway: the car crawled up very slowly while I could hear the engine revving. Whole thing took 5 very slow seconds but by the end I started smelling this burn odor, almost like brake smell. SO I'm assuming I was slipping the clutch.
first time ever. the smell stayed with me for like 10 minutes. Funny thing I could still smell it two hours later if I leaned and smelled the brake discs on the driver's side , but not the other side (??).
Should I be worried? car drived normally...
Was your foot on the clutch? If not, it was not slipping. If so, don't do that again!

If not, it may have been traction control locking wheels. Perhaps it was the brakes? If so, that's no biggie. I know this happens to me if I get the car on an angle incline so that one wheel can come off the ground.

If the car drives OK now, there is nothing to do.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JMSIV
Was your foot on the clutch? If not, it was not slipping. If so, don't do that again!

If not, it may have been traction control locking wheels. Perhaps it was the brakes? If so, that's no biggie. I know this happens to me if I get the car on an angle incline so that one wheel can come off the ground.

If the car drives OK now, there is nothing to do.
yep believe my foot was on the clutch. Interesting about traction control.
Did some tests suggested in following link to check on clutch, results were OK(did not hear any noises)
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/clutch2.htm