RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

So Evil, what's the latest on your RS4 misfire? Have they drained the gas tank yet? : )...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need to say thanks to all of those who have suggested ways to resolve the problem.......

on this board and in emails. I do appreciate the help and suggestions. I am limited in my knowledge of many newer car engines like my RS 4. I will also admit that on older engines I have always limited my work to the occasional brake job or adjusting the valves etc.....

I will also say that I am wondering where the "Sky is Falling" comment comes from. I believe my service rep when he says that they are doing their best to fix the problem. I also believe him when he tells me that he thinks often AOA holds back information. That is frustrating to both of us and creates a slower process in fixing my car. I also have to assume that a small percentage of what I will call alternative information provided by this board and others like it is correct. There is the possibility that FSI could have some unresolved issues. If it is fuel, oil, my driving or who knows what else I would be foolish it not consider all the possibilities.

Am I frustrated with the car and AOA? Not yet but I am getting there. The car has been in the shop three separate times for the misfires and engine light. Not to mention the hick up, dip or flat spot between 2K and 3K. I was told this week that that is normal and I should ignore it. Great! I'm very happy with that answer (can't you see me smiling)? It has also been in the shop at least three other times having the stereo replaced and software upgrades to get the new stereo to work. The guys who have been on this board from October have heard all this before. Did I mention that I have an official Chevrolet Lemon already and was hoping to have better luck with my Audi? I am still keeping my fingers crossed trying to stay positive and don't wish my spot of bad luck on any of you.
O, I forgot to tell you, you have a piece of sky in your hair ;-)
Old 04-06-2007, 04:49 PM

Default The hiccup, can you describe it in detail?...

it may be normal, or approximating normal(if that makes any sense). Many engines have a flat spot, especially under conditions being described here...during cruise at low RPM's and then getting on the gas. A splt second of hesitation I would consider not out of the ordinary.

But a stumble, accompanying that, I would view as a problem. Which is it? The other hiccup reports here are pretty vague. Obviously it was enough to make you take it in and ask about it. But, can you decribe it better?
Old 04-06-2007, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It can range from nothing at all as if it never existed to a light dip in power and.......

everything in-between. Is that vague enough? I would say that as I have become more familiar with the car it seems more noticeable. On an average day it's like a flat spot involved with a slow acceleration. This is my first Audi or FSI engine so I just don't know if it's normal. The service tec says he sees it with most Vag cars. It's not a problem except that I notice it and it has become aggravating.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:19 PM

Default Re: It can range from nothing at all as if it never existed to a light dip in power and.......

You may just be fixating on it. Is there or is there not a stumble associated with it? Answer that question and you're almost there.

A flat spot is a flat spot, a lag a lag...and it is not uncommon at all...not just due to engine but also drivetrain, AWD, coming off cruise control, ambient temp, high humidity, you name it.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I can't say that I have ever felt a stumble at that rpm but yes to a dip in power.......

The seperate issue of misfires feel more like a stumble and that is at high speed and rpms.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:45 PM

Default Re: I can't say that I have ever felt a stumble at that rpm but yes to a dip in power.......

Well, you know you have a misfire problem. Concentrate on getting that taken care of and then revisit the quasi acceptable flat spot later. W/O a stumble of any kind, I would have to think it's inherent to the car.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have same issue, no misfires...

I don't beleive this is normal. One way it occurs is when I'm cruising at a constant speed with light throttle. Seemingly randomly the power drops for just a moment. I'm not accelerating or decelerating (at steady throttle) so it's not a question of lag.

In two service visits, no repros, no ECU faults.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:43 PM

Default Oh...

I thought it was just a power dip under accelertion, not a drop in power when at constant speed. That's different, and sounds weird.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Actually that's not true. Some cleaners are much gentler on the rest of the engine.

Problem is that due to our fuel dilution, that stuff will get into the oil and will come in contact with every bearing surface in the engine.

Be very very careful in using deposit cleaners like this. I do know for a fact that Dyson has good things to report about Techron, FP60, FP3000, and BioPlus, based on subsequent oil analysis by his customers, after application. Other more aggressive additives, like BG have had noticeable impact on the engine wear.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not normal. I've tried to replicated it multiple times, even tried again tonight.

I can release the clutch at idle, not stall, and apply power. Power application and acceleration is as smooth as silk at any power setting. The only thing that ever happens is some slight bucking of the car goes over bumps at low rpm, due to drive train lash, and that darn light flywheel. But on a smooth surface, she is as smooth as silk.

Quick Reply: So Evil, what's the latest on your RS4 misfire? Have they drained the gas tank yet? : )...