RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Stock Suspension: Front ride height too high!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 154 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 777lee777
btw... where is "way out west?" I'm in Boise, Idaho area.
Way Out West aka The People's Republik of Kalifornia...

Old 02-18-2012, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by India Whiskey Charlie
No. The increased front height is to prevent the bottom of the front bumper from scraping. This is an American thing as many owners have complained in the past. So, most manufacturers got tired of complaints and raised the fronts of some cars that have a low bumper. More recently, if cars do not have a low bumper, they don't raise the front.
AFAIK, the RS4 does not have a raised front end. That would destroy the balance and handling of the car. Most people look at fender gaps and think its higher in the front, but it's not. I have been around several RS4s since their launch and also been at Sonoma at the Infineon raceway on the track with them, which also includes working on them. The ride height needs to be checked from lower body rail to the floor, not visually looking the gap in the fender to the wheel. Most lowering springs will drop the front more than the rear, but stock will most always be an even height. I'll have to check a U.S. spec RS4 soon just to be sure though.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As it relates to modifying a coil spring... I'd certainly never let anyone take a saw or a torch to one (seen lots of sad mods )... but....
taking a file to the edge at base or top... Hhmmm... only looking for fraction of inch. Of course, the labor and expense would be around getting the coil out and re-installing (only a professional - certainly not me!)
Old 02-18-2012, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ezveedub
AFAIK, the RS4 does not have a raised front end. That would destroy the balance and handling of the car. Most people look at fender gaps and think its higher in the front, but it's not. I have been around several RS4s since their launch and also been at Sonoma at the Infineon raceway on the track with them, which also includes working on them. The ride height needs to be checked from lower body rail to the floor, not visually looking the gap in the fender to the wheel. Most lowering springs will drop the front more than the rear, but stock will most always be an even height. I'll have to check a U.S. spec RS4 soon just to be sure though.
I was talking as compared with ROW specs. Just compare a Euro RS4 with a US one and you'll see what I am talking about.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by India Whiskey Charlie
I was talking as compared with ROW specs. Just compare a Euro RS4 with a US one and you'll see what I am talking about.
OK, that I can believe.
I've only heard people complain about the higher front end after the campaign to install new DRC struts and shocks, but no one ever said anything when they were new.

Last edited by ezveedub; 02-18-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Unfortunately, this is normal for US spec cars. As others have said, I've been told that it's not actually higher. It's an optical illusion based on the wheel arch. I noticed this about a week after having the car, and yes it bugs me.

Have you looked into Stasis? I believe the ride height on this system is adjustable? While tempted, I'm not likely to pursue the Stasis system for two reasons. One, it's pretty pricey and two, the roads in my area are in pretty bad shape so I'm worried about firming up the ride too much and winding up with a crash ride quality.

Trying to modify the ride height of the stock springs is probably not a great idea.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by spagolli94
Unfortunately, this is normal for US spec cars. As others have said, I've been told that it's not actually higher. It's an optical illusion based on the wheel arch. I noticed this about a week after having the car, and yes it bugs me.
It is *not* an optical illusion. The front of the car *is* higher than the ROW version. I have not checked ETKA, but I'll bet the spring part numbers are not the same between US and ROW.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Don't forget that Europe has a Sport Suspension (SS) option that North America did not. Some people complained that the SS had even more difference between the front and back.
If you compare part numbers, take this into account.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by musanoadsaba
Don't forget that Europe has a Sport Suspension (SS) option that North America did not. Some people complained that the SS had even more difference between the front and back.
If you compare part numbers, take this into account.
Yes, strictly referring to standard suspension for both versions.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 777lee777
As it relates to modifying a coil spring... I'd certainly never let anyone take a saw or a torch to one (seen lots of sad mods )... but....
taking a file to the edge at base or top... Hhmmm... only looking for fraction of inch. Of course, the labor and expense would be around getting the coil out and re-installing (only a professional - certainly not me!)
You will mess up your DRC - - You will need to go to a coilover like others said

Quick Reply: Stock Suspension: Front ride height too high!