RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Test Drove '08 RS4

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default While I can see wanting some more power...I would NEVER call the RS4 "underpowered"

its a fvcking beast....simply put
Old 01-15-2008, 05:58 PM

does this venting have something to do with YOUR "underpowered" unit?
Old 01-15-2008, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Please just stick with your current car. and quit wasting our time thanks!!
Old 01-15-2008, 10:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default look I know what youre talking about,don t let these knuckle heads bother you, all of audis

V8's in my opinion also, are docile and rev up like power drills in my opinion

I know the underpowered feeling...Alot of these guys think in terms of MY CAR HAS 420 horse!

BUt does it? Regardless thats local only to the engine.. at the wheels how much is it putting down? 350? 330?

And theyre defending this 2 ton car thats putting down 350 whp !!!! Y
Forget it, what more needs to be said.

All these guys on here defending that meager amount at the wheels HOw much does it weigh now? Combined you have the reason for your dismay

Its very easy to see why it feels underpowered, if your coming from an acura tl or somethign, yes, feels like its lots of power, if you just sold a 500 whp porsche , then its understandable the thing feels underpowered, and it does,

anyone who says that pig rs4 doesnt feel underpowered in 3rd forget it..needs to drive more cars or at least acknowledge theres stuff out there that will tear that rs4 in half in acceleration..
acceleration imo was docile, like a power drill...its impressive for what it is, but its alll relative..

This is not intended to be inflammatory to the locals here, jsut think its unfair everyone is pissing on this guy when he gave an honest opinion, and the question was, can it make more HP after GMG's items..

but instead everyone pisses on him, because they feel offended that their relative idea of what is powerful is being controverted, saddle up , get in a higher power car , , then come back drive the rs4,end of discussion.

Buy a modded porsche vegas
Old 01-15-2008, 10:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

real data like what ? A 12.8 1/4 mile- Trapping sub 110 on a 1/4 mile?
Old 01-16-2008, 02:50 AM
RS7

Default Errrrrk, those black wheels look disgusting!

They might be ok on a more sporty looking car, but any E class, AMG or not, does not look sporty. They may be able to go fast in a straight line, but they still look like a luxury old man car to me.

The black wheels look like the equivelent of an 80 year old dressing up like a rapper.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default wtf...sorry if we're defending a car thats had rave review after rave review - why would you compare

a modded porsche?

being underpowered and wanting more power are different things....

perhaps you should get back in a modded out STI or something....
Old 01-16-2008, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yes the E55 makes more whp, but how do you get that power to the ground? My E55 was stock and

didn't have a LSD so is basically one wheel drive. It has a big heavy engine in the front and no way to put enough rubber in the back to get enough traction to handle the power. With traction control on the light just flashes with every launch, with traction control off you can burn up some very expensive rubber. I only kept my E55 for a little more than a year because it was just so annoying to drive with the weird steering and handling. Yes the E55 goes fast in a straight line but for a daily driver the RS4 is superior, and now that I have 9K miles on the RS4 it feels just as fast as the E55, you just have to keep the revs up.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Answers.....

You can not mash the pedal in a middle gear from low rpm and expect the RS4 to respond. The engine simply isn't built that way. It is built to be driven with the revs up, much like a Honda S2000.

Fast/Slow is all relative depending on what you are used to. That said, I am a firm believer that in a street driven vehicle, all-wheel drive is a necessity with high power in order to provide a margin of safety to actually let you use the power with a certain degree of safety. I can also safely use the power of my car in rain and in snow. In fact, driving this car in snow is an absolute blast. Try driving your Benz aggressively in the snow. You'd be hanging on for dear life if you could ever get it to move in the first place!

The high-end MB's have always been powerhouse luxo-cruisers. The RS4 is more of a balance between luxo-cruiser and back road go-cart.

Try this: get up to 50mph in third gear. Turn off ESP and turn on sport mode. Drop into second gear and nail the accelerator. If it still feels slow, this isn't the car for you.

Finally, the E55 isn't even the same class of car. The comparable model to the RS4 would be the C55 or C63.

So if you simply want a dry weather, straight line luxury rocket, the RS4 is not the car for you. If you want a very involving car that will allow to safely use all its power under a wide variety of road and weather conditions, then the RS4 is right on the money.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Didn't want to reply any more as it seems to offend a lot of people here...

But you are absolutely right. Just test drove a 996TT in MT6... and the car is a great performer. And guess what... in 3rd it pulls right of 2.5K. I know 3rd gear is not a 'test' of the car. But, you can high rev and drive a **** out of any car and have it be 'fast'. And NO, RS4 is not an Indy and should not be compared to one with respect to driving in high revs. It takes a special car to have power through out the entire RPM range, and RS4 just doesn't have it.
The interior on RS4 is great and more civil than in 996TT, but the 996TT is my next car.
I am sorry to have offended people here by stating that 'I' felt the car was underpowered. But... perhaps some of you may be enlightened by driving other high performance vehicles.

Quick Reply: Test Drove '08 RS4