RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Thinking Of Flashing The ECU

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking Of Flashing The ECU

I am thinking of flashing the ESU after seeing Revo 20% off sale. Looking at the different upgades Unitronic seems to offer the most gains. Then there is GIAC comming out with their software soon. What really scares me off is the warranty issue. My service has no problems with a flash, but if one of the area reps stop by to look before a repair it would be a problem. So as it stands I am on the fence, but leaning towards the unitronic. Any ECU upgrade owners out there ? Need to hear from you. Thanks.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RS4 RAIDER
I am thinking of flashing the ESU after seeing Revo 20% off sale. Looking at the different upgades Unitronic seems to offer the most gains. Then there is GIAC comming out with their software soon. What really scares me off is the warranty issue. My service has no problems with a flash, but if one of the area reps stop by to look before a repair it would be a problem. So as it stands I am on the fence, but leaning towards the unitronic. Any ECU upgrade owners out there ? Need to hear from you. Thanks.
Can't stop modding, can you. Me neither!!!! I was actually thinking about the same thing. I believe Revo has an option right now where you can switch between a stock program and a chipped program at the flip of a switch. Not certain if it's available for the RS4. best to chip once you know all your hardware mods are done, and honestly, if you are going to chip, you'll get the most bang for the buck with intake, DP and cat-back and then a harrdware optimized tune.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Vijay, are you saying I need a Gruppe M and Milltek downpipes. When does it end ? I wonder what kind of HP increase with all thes upgrades working together are ? That warranty issue on the Motor just scares me. What to do ?
Old 04-23-2009, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RS4 RAIDER
Vijay, are you saying I need a Gruppe M and Milltek downpipes. When does it end ? I wonder what kind of HP increase with all thes upgrades working together are ? That warranty issue on the Motor just scares me. What to do ?

When does it end?...it ends when you sell your car. Then it starts again when you buy your next car. Modding is an ongoing hobby (or an addiction).

As far as real engine mods, if you are going to get any real power, you need to do it all. With intake, which is known to be restrictive in the RS4, DP and cat-back and then an engine tune my guess is you will extract another 20-25hp. That is probably enough to make a difference in how the car feels although probably not more than 1-2/10 in the numbers game. That 25hp costs about $6-7000 total. Compare that to a $600 ECU upgrade in a B5 S4 that gets you 60hp and 110lb-ft of torque. Is it worth it? That is an individual decision. You could ask the same question of the wheels. The warranty issue is a different one all together. Intake, DP, and ECU tune will all void any warranty on almost any engine problem. Some of it depends, however, on if you have a mod-friendly dealer who is willing to work with you. This is one reason I have my dealer install a lot of my mods. It is cash business for them, and it keeps me in their favor.

For me, the Euro wheel is clearly worth it as it adds so much to the driving experience. Your steering wheel is your ultimate link to your car, after all. Adding a sub and amp was also very worth it as it totally tranformed the sound system. I love my exhaust and wheels too, but those are definitely a lot of $$$$ for what you get compared to the already pretty good stock components.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Can it be custom tuned on a dynometer?
I had previous cars custom tuned and flashed and it made a huge difference compared to a over the shelve tune.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Even with all the carbon issues?

This is the last thing I'd do. The gains on this engine from a chip are minimal, and the timing will just get pulled out with poor fuel and/or carbon build up. Most of the power from this engine is at high rpm, which is pretty hard to use on public roads legally other than 1st and 2nd gear.

If the stock ECU is pulling out timing and losing power due to carbon build up, what's the point of a chip? A better investment might be using top tier gas, fuel treatment and oil changes/carbon cleaning every 5000 to try to keep the stock power from dropping.

YMMV.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I hate this new format

Above reply was meant for RS4 Raider...
Old 04-24-2009, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you Jenner
Old 04-24-2009, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have the Unitronic and felt the difference right away. The performance shop said my mods were working very well together with Tubi Cat-Back and Gruppe M intake.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenner
Above reply was meant for RS4 Raider...
Use the "Quote & Reply" button.

Quick Reply: Thinking Of Flashing The ECU