RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Those that moved from a STIII B5 S4 to an B7 RS4-questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yes the RS4 is more refined but it definitely has an edge to it, like driving a very refined muscle

car. I don't find it sleep inducing at all. I replaced the DRC system with Ohlin SL's and I'm very happy with the way it handles. I think the brakes are fine unless you intend to track the car a lot. Considering your need for more comfort and reliability I would go for it, I don't think you'll be disappointed especially at the prices they are going for now. I have 20K miles on my RS4 and I'm still enjoying it every time I drive it.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hope you still enjoy it, I still grin ear to ear each of the 100k miles on the B5

I guess the DRC issue is an excuse to go Stasis Ohlins. But I hope the quality of the Ohlin dampers is above that of the Koni on the Tracksports. Ive gone through multiple sets of Stasis Koni blown dampers, and Stasis seems to lose my RMA #, so their warranty is useless.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I don't keep cars very long if I don't enjoy them, the E55 was like that, very fast but ultimately

boring to drive after a short time. Great for doing 0-100-0 runs but thats about it.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Has anyone been denied warranty coverage for DRC yet tho?
Old 10-13-2008, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I've owned a B5 S4 since 2000 & just sold my stg 3 in August

Why did you make the change?
Tired of the constant repairs, niggles etc. Wanted updated interior and not have to modify anything. I wanted everything done by the factory. I wanted something more professional for clients to ride in and comfort for the family/friends.

What were your initial impressions?
Power was not quite as awesome as the stg 3 S4. No torque surge at 3500 RPM but overall there were so many creature comforts (bluetooth, NAV, iPod, updated interior) I was willing to go with a hair less power for better everything else & a warranty and no maintenace costs for the next 4 years.

How do you feel about the RS4 now vs when you first switched?
Now that I am through the break in period, 8000 rpms is awesome! Power delivery is smooth & linear so it doesn have the perceived kick of the S4 but it is plenty fast. It seems to be getting faster - I have 2500 miles on it now. It really is too powerful to be used on US highways with it's strong top end.

I no longer have turbo-lady paranoia and am not worried about being stranded on a road trip if I don't have a spare TBB, laptop w/ VAG, etc. :-)

I too loved my B5, but don't miss the hassles and age. It defiantely doesn't feel overly refined to me. It can be driven normally so most people riding don't know it can be a complete beast when you really get on it. The V8 sound is simply awesome. No regrets for the step up.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Here's what you want to know.....

I had one of the first stage 3+ B5's. I sold it a couple of years back because it was starting get some miles on it and I wanted to still sell it while I could get decent money for it.

RS4 is worlds away from a B5 S4. What you will not have is that enormous swell of torque in the mid-range. However, the RS4 still provides neck-snapping punch. Hit the gas and it MOVES. No waiting for boost, no hesitation. It just slams you in your seat and you go...and go.....and go. The engine never gets out of breath and never lets up. With the B5, it is slow to start and runs out of breath at the upper end of the power band (relatively, of course). The RS4 isn't either of these. In fact, after 5500 rpms it pulls even harder.

It is more refined than a B5, but not in a bad way. It is just put together in a way that oozes high-end finesse. It feels extremely solid and buttoned down.

Some people say the suspension is a little weak. I don't completely agree. The stock suspension is very capable. Yes you can definitely make it more raceworthy, but it doesn't suck like a stock B5 S4 suspension, which is clearly under-engineered for the car. Keep in mind there is ALWAYS a ride/handling trade-off.

The steering response of the RS4 is light years ahead of the B5 S4. It feels very tight, very nicely weighted, and incredibly responsive.

Yes, the RS4 is very refined, but you could similarly argue that the S4 is more refined than a Subaru STi. It is the fact that it combines refinement with superb out-of-the-box performance that makes it so good.

The engine feels tight when new. It needs 4-5000 miles to really break in. Keep this in mind when test driving.

When you go on your test drive, do this: Get going in 3rd gear to 50mph. Make sure ESP is off and sport mode is on. Now, downshift to 2nd and nail the gas pedal.

Really....I wouldn't worry at all. The RS4 is a simply phenomenal automobile. You really don't need to mod it all. People choose to, but it is that good out of the box.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:16 PM

Default Good comments

BTW - I also own an 06 Cayenne S Ti Ed (Red) for the wife.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I still can't believe how well the Cayenne handles for a vehicle of its size....

Simply defies physics.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I thought so
Old 10-13-2008, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Read here also

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/rs4b7/threads/8189.phtml#99089">https://forums.audiworld.com/rs4b7/threads/8189.phtml#99089</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: Those that moved from a STIII B5 S4 to an B7 RS4-questions