RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Titanium Package

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 04:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clarkej
I own both a 2008 RS4 and a 2002 Z06. Hands down without question my Z06 is faster in a straight line and would annihilate my RS4 on the track. Your Corvette is probably 400 lbs lighter, and has a substantial lead in torque especially at lower RPM.

4. I find it fairly easy to drive both my Corvette and my RS4 normal (just driving around) and at WOT, however the RS4 is a little touchy with the partial throttle 5-6k romps due to clutch actuation, rubbery shifter and what appears to be drivetrain backlash.
5. The RS4's shifter (with an aftermarket SSK) feals like a rubbery thing normally saved for bedroom antics in comparison to a

you keep mentioning the shifter. You may want to try the JHM shifter. It replaces the rubbery (it's actually plastic) part in the OEM shifter with all metal, and it's world class. Feels like a race car. Here's a look at the parts up close so you can see why the JHM unit feels so good, and why the OEM unit feels like a ***** lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2TzMGvfRo8

p.s. you think a Z06 (C5) would annhillate an RS4 on a track? Weird because the laptimes aren't too crazy different.

Last edited by sakimano; 10-01-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the car is the Rochester one and is not CPO...it was a trade on a VW but I got them down a little. I called the Audi dealer that services the car for the past two years and the 15/25/35K services have been done and during the 35K service the front brake pads were replaced. Also, during the 25K service the suspension recall was performed.

Seems pretty straight except for the curb rash on the rims.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sakimano
you keep mentioning the shifter. You may want to try the JHM shifter. It replaces the rubbery (it's actually plastic) part in the OEM shifter with all metal, and it's world class. Feels like a race car. Here's a look at the parts up close so you can see why the JHM unit feels so good, and why the OEM unit feels like a ***** lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2TzMGvfRo8

p.s. you think a Z06 (C5) would annhillate an RS4 on a track? Weird because the laptimes aren't too crazy different.
According to the local dealer, my RS4 has an aftermarket shifter but I don't know who's kit it is. I'm not sure I would know how to identify it if I pulled the trim pieces out. Is there typically a badge or something on the aftermarket shifters to identify?

Keep in mind I said my C5Z would annihilate my RS4. My C5Z is better prepared for the track. However given a dry day: The C5Z is much, much lighter, has significantly more torque under the curve and both cars have about the same horsepower. 405 vs 420. If both cars were on R compounds, and both ran Hawk DTC60's or 70's, I don't see how the RS4 could keep up with a C5Z on the track.

Not something I could duplicate around here, I have seen a couple of RS4's around here at the track but so far the people I have met were 4-5 track days total into the sport and were driving essentially stock cars.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

sakimano: I watched the video you attached. Looks like it would be easy to identify what shifter I have. I will do some digging. It appears the JHM shifter would be huge improvement. Couple of questions:

1. Does the JHM introduce a lot more NVH then stock or competing shifters?
2. Does the JHM shifter require adjustment. Over time it appears that my shifter requires re-alighnment. If I don't have it re-aligned (or figure how to do it myself) the shifter causing resistance going into first from neutral at stoplights. Which is SUPER annoying.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by clarkej
sakimano: I watched the video you attached. Looks like it would be easy to identify what shifter I have. I will do some digging. It appears the JHM shifter would be huge improvement. Couple of questions:

1. Does the JHM introduce a lot more NVH then stock or competing shifters?
2. Does the JHM shifter require adjustment. Over time it appears that my shifter requires re-alighnment. If I don't have it re-aligned (or figure how to do it myself) the shifter causing resistance going into first from neutral at stoplights. Which is SUPER annoying.
There are only a couple shifters out there...but the JHM one feels anything but rubbery. It will definitely introduce a little V, not necessarily N or H

The adjustment problem is one that I hear about a lot...if you get it nailed the first time, you should be good to go, requiring only minor adjustments in time, but getting it nailed the first time is pretty tough...you just have to be patient.

Google 'JHM SHIFTER REVIEW' and you can find a few thoughts from people who have installed it. Guys talk about a 'total transformation' of the shifting feel. The shifter in your car sounds like the stratmosphere shifter which just reduces throw, and has been panned by even the new guys at STRAT when asked about it.

I don't have it in my car, and I get lampooned for it all the time by JHM devotees lol...I'm just easily annoyed by things not fitting perfectly and I'm sure I'd go nuts if I couldn't align the JHM part properly. I've driven a few cars with it though...and god damn am I missing out.

Last edited by sakimano; 10-06-2011 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just picked up a Mugello RS4 with Ti in August. I paid significantly more than yours is asking, and feel it was a good value. Thinking years ahead to selling it, buyers looking for titanium will always pay a premium for it. Those who don't have it, or don't know what it is, won't. As with any moderately rare car you can always get your price but it might take a while to find the right buyer.
This indicates 131 Ti's out there: http://www.stahmann-motorsports.com/...4_VIN_List.htm

As you know, this is a seriously good looking car, and is worth every penny...
Old 10-06-2011, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by avant3
I just picked up a Mugello RS4 with Ti in August. I paid significantly more than yours is asking, and feel it was a good value. Thinking years ahead to selling it, buyers looking for titanium will always pay a premium for it. Those who don't have it, or don't know what it is, won't. As with any moderately rare car you can always get your price but it might take a while to find the right buyer.
This indicates 131 Ti's out there: http://www.stahmann-motorsports.com/...4_VIN_List.htm

What is the titanium version? Do you have a pick?
Old 10-06-2011, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think the car is beautiful looking and my friend went there to test drive it and check it out in person today. He told me the car was in great shape and looked better than the pictures. The only issue w/ the car in MI are the rims which can be fixed for $150 each. Also, that car comes with a fairly new set of winter tires.

My wife actually like the Mugello Blue with the Titanium package...oh and she told me this after I decided not to buy it.

Originally Posted by avant3

Old 10-10-2011, 10:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BADRS4
What is the titanium version? Do you have a pick?
Titanium is a trim package that darkens all of the bright aluminium on the exterior - grill bezel, bumper trim, mirrors, window trim, wheels, exhaust. Murdered out, as the kids say.
Attached Images   
Old 10-11-2011, 12:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the info!!! and Thanks for the Pics!!! I haven't seen one of those on the road yet...cool..I think I like the silver on mine...(maybe its just with my color combination) kind of brightens up the car...I'm such a fanatic..that I actually scrub the brake dust on my rims as soon as they start to look too powdered and "gray" LOL

Quick Reply: Titanium Package