RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

traded in 2008 S4 for '08 RS4 Cabrio

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 03:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Opinions vary on the carbon cleaning. Butt dynos generally agree that it's a huge improvement, almost like a new car. A very few report they don't notice an improvement. The overwhelming dyno evidence is that you're likely down 25-40HP at 41K miles due to carbon on the backside of the valves. It not only restricts flow, but maybe more importantly is that it messes with the swirl effects that were designed into the heads and intake, resulting in poor air/fuel mixing and lots of spark retard when hot.

It's your call. My opinion is that you've paid tens of thousands extra for the high-revving, high output motor, and the cost of after-market parts typically run $100 per HP, so why setting for an RS4 that runs like an S4?
Old 11-26-2012, 06:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice, i'll be bringing it into Audi tomorrow, and ask them to check it out.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
Opinions vary on the carbon cleaning. Butt dynos generally agree that it's a huge improvement, almost like a new car. A very few report they don't notice an improvement. The overwhelming dyno evidence is that you're likely down 25-40HP at 41K miles due to carbon on the backside of the valves. It not only restricts flow, but maybe more importantly is that it messes with the swirl effects that were designed into the heads and intake, resulting in poor air/fuel mixing and lots of spark retard when hot.

It's your call. My opinion is that you've paid tens of thousands extra for the high-revving, high output motor, and the cost of after-market parts typically run $100 per HP, so why setting for an RS4 that runs like an S4?
Tech at Audi dealer confirmed your opinion on additives being ineffective, but given how the car currently runs, suggested holding on a carbon clean-out, and just open it up on the road a few times. It does seem to run fine...to me, starts fine, no chk engine-light lit. cost woulda been around $900. i agree it's worth the price, but will hold off for the moment, see what happens.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're currently happy with the power output then nothing lost by holding off. When you're ready for more power, a carbon clean can be your next mod!
Old 11-29-2012, 10:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
If you're currently happy with the power output then nothing lost by holding off. When you're ready for more power, a carbon clean can be your next mod!
thanks and happy holidays!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Carbon clean at 48K

RS4Life - I see MA plates? Which part of the state are you in? I just had my carbon done by Elite on Long Island (lots of endorsements on here) and can say "it matters." Two local dealers said it wasn't an issue and one said he wouldn't even quote me a rate to do it. You can get to LI pretty easily on the ferry from CT if you decide to get it done so I decided to do that.

Car was running well with plenty of power (I too had an S4) but I was going to track it and needed brakes done so wanted it cleaned at the same time. Power is slightly improved but it run soooo much smoother now.

If you need proof, my wife, a non-car mini-van driving type of woman said, completely unprompted, "whatever you did to the car was worth it, it runs a lot better now." Normally she wouldn't notice anything about a car unless I had it painted a new color so this is telling.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi Kirby,
i'm South of Boston, and have gotten excellent service from Audi of Westwood...have you dealt with them? i have no complaints.
they're quoting around $850 for the clean-out.
I'm the only "manual driver" in my household, so i have a monopoly on the car. :-)
I grabbed it when i saw it, as it's a cabriolet, and they only made 300 of these in 08...hoping it becomes a collectible in the future!
Old 12-09-2012, 12:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Check to see what they will be doing for the $850. They need to remove the heads and manually scrape all the valves to really get it clean. Major PIA and time consuming. I checked with Burlington and Nashua and neither would do it to that level.