RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Trouble with Stasis SL's - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by zekers4
With Jason's help have identified the likely cause of my problems. At the time of install I requested that the installer raise the ride height approx 1/2 inch from the initial setting which looked too slammed for me. Jason indicated that when raising the ride height you have to be careful and check the nut on the bottom of the damper assembly to make sure that it has not become loose in the process. If the nut becomes loose, the excess movement will eventually strip away the threads and the damper will separate from the bottom mount. Other than the nut coming loose he could not see why the damper would fail in this fashion. Lesson: make sure to check the bottom nut after any adjustment in ride height.
Thanks! Can you possibly indicate where this bottom nut is located?

Old 06-12-2009, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Viken B.
I think I got it. Is it the locking perch nut below the perch itself?
Old 06-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Viken B.

I assumed a nut but it screws directly into the bottom mounting plate and by turning to adjust the height it can become loose. In the photo the two dampers on the right are the front (the ones that filed on my car) the silver plate under the red spring is where the damper rod screws in. This is where the rod threads that screw into the plate stripped away and separated both times. When you adjust the height at the top of the spring the whole unit can turn and unscrew the rod from the plate at the bottom. I am not a mechanic, but based on my discussion with the Audi mechanic and the discussion with Jason, this is what we believe probably happened.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zekers4
I assumed a nut but it screws directly into the bottom mounting plate and by turning to adjust the height it can become loose. In the photo the two dampers on the right are the front (the ones that filed on my car) the silver plate under the red spring is where the damper rod screws in. This is where the rod threads that screw into the plate stripped away and separated both times. When you adjust the height at the top of the spring the whole unit can turn and unscrew the rod from the plate at the bottom. I am not a mechanic, but based on my discussion with the Audi mechanic and the discussion with Jason, this is what we believe probably happened.
So are you referring to the hex bolt located at the bottom of the suspension inside the "Y" end?
Old 06-15-2009, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Are we talking about these?

Green or Red circle?

Last edited by titsataki; 06-15-2009 at 05:24 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by titsataki
Are we talking about these?

Green or Red circle?

Look at the dampers with the red circle. At the opposite end of the u shaped bar is a silver metal plate. On the other side of the silver metal plate is where the silver bar of the damper mounts. It is this bar that is separating from the plate and stripping the threads in the process.