RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Well it's decision time - RS6 vs. RS4

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well it's decision time - RS6 vs. RS4

I was all but done pulling the trigger on the RS4 of choice for me... $63k all in.

However, I was recently made aware of a 20k mileage mint RS6 withing convenient driving distance, so I went to look/drive it. This was my first experience with the RS6 and I was very impressed with the fit/finish, extra back seat room, power/torque, linear acceleration (no turbo lag at all), etc. Its a lot of car. I could buy it for $45k...$18k less than the RS4.

Of course, the RS6 is not new, so I need to figure in price of an extended warranty, mainteance, etc. In the end, the total cost of ownership is probably not all that different... but the RS6 is a rarer car, quite the ethos around them, much of depreciation is done (sticker was $86k+).

Anyone ever consider a pristine used RS6 vs. the RS4? I know that they are different cars in terms of size, concept, performance, etc... but both are RS Audis, both are really great in different ways.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the key considerations....

-warranty coverage. if the RS6 isn't CPO'd, it has no warranty. you could easily dump 10% of what you're paying for the car into repairs in the first year of ownership. that's no exaggeration.

-auto tranny vs. manual...advantage could go either way, depending on the type and amount of driving you do.

-size....easy decision, just depends how often you need the back seat for passengers.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: warranty coverage

The car is NOT CPO'd. Couldnt I resolve this item by purchasing an extended warranty? I researched and it appears to cost about $3k for an extensive one. I dont think that I can have the car CPO'd now, because the original warranty has expired.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default $3k sounds pretty good....maybe too good.

the cost of getting an extended warranty after the factory warranty has expired is usually pretty significant. $3k sounds low, actually.

this has always been my suggestion regarding extended warranties: talk to one of the service writers at your Audi dealership. these guys have to deal with extended warranties every day, and they'll know which ones are good and which ones are a PITA to deal with. I went with their recommendation when I had my A6, and NEVER had a problem getting things covered....the warranty paid for itself, and then some.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I liked my RS4 more than my RS6
Old 08-28-2008, 08:34 PM

Default Re: Well it's decision time - RS6 vs. RS4

I actually went through the exact same thinking a couple of months back. I decided against the RS6 because I ultimately wanted something new. I came from an 05 S4 and didn't want something older than what I had. If you do alot of stop and go driving, maybe the tiptronic is the way to go. I figured the warranty would be exorbitantly expensive, and most of the CPO cars are coming off warranty. Also, with such low mileage, I was worried that maybe cars like this spent more time in the shop than on the road in order to have such low mileage. I mean I suppose its possible to drive a car like that only 3,000 miles per year, but why!? I also read about alot of people who had significant problems with their RS6s, so I stayed clear. I am happy with the RS4, and its even more fun now that she is broken in. But hey, theyre both great cars.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:13 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RS6 = aged = what happens when this jewel sets? Sure, low miles, but...

moving parts, lubed, tight toleranced parts, when not utilized, tend not to do well when 'asked' to rotate, lubed surfaces losing the protection after setting awhile. Compounding this scenario are the turbos and their forces and sensitivities.
Sure, warranties are a good thing but the enjoyment is soured when the car spends time in the garage bay or lets you down somewhere out in Helltown..02
Old 08-29-2008, 04:19 AM

Default I was blown off the road by one a few weeks ago...... RS6 awsome car.

I was in my Scirocco at the time :-)
Old 08-29-2008, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default When I tried to order an RS6 back in 2003...

... only a select few of Audi dealers were authorized to perform service on them and none were in my local. Don't know if this has changed or not, but it did keep me from buying.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default It's a very difficult car to work on - almost have to pull the engine for everything

and will be expensive to maintain

And in the end it is still a tip

Quick Reply: Well it's decision time - RS6 vs. RS4