RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

When the DRC replaced under recall fails after 4000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When the DRC replaced under recall fails after 4000 miles

Dealer says that the DRC shocks replaced under recall (which were working fine at the time they were replaced -10,000 miles) are warranted for 12 months or 12 thousand miles. Now, two years and 4 thousand miles later the system has leaked. Dealer states that the leak is definitely not related to the recall they performed and that they don't know where the leak is.....

I am curious if anyone out there is aware what the obligations of the manufacturer when they replace an item after a recall. To me it is clear that the new shocks are defective, or the installation was not perfectly performed- leading to failure. Four thousand carefully driven miles should never cause a shock absorber to fail.

I have asked the dealer to speak with Audi about this..

I would be very appreciative for any comments. Thanks
Old 12-11-2012, 05:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey RS4-2007,

I was kind of in the same boat as you. I had my DRC system replaced in November last year and my system started clunking and all the DRC related symptoms, I was 20km over my 20,000km warranty and Audi decided that they're not going to warranty it, I called customer relations in Canada, and they still would not cover it.

My dealership was willing to give me a 20% discount off the service of installing a new DRC system, but I figured I'd go aftermarket and I ended up going with the Bilstein setup. I couldn't be happier.

What frustrates me is that how could the DRC system fail after one year of use? I never track the car, I drive downtown from home and back, a long cruise to the mountains occasionally, which is pretty much it of how I put the car to use.

All the best to which decision you wish to go with.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by petoria
Hey RS4-2007,

I was kind of in the same boat as you. I had my DRC system replaced in November last year and my system started clunking and all the DRC related symptoms, I was 20km over my 20,000km warranty and Audi decided that they're not going to warranty it, I called customer relations in Canada, and they still would not cover it.

My dealership was willing to give me a 20% discount off the service of installing a new DRC system, but I figured I'd go aftermarket and I ended up going with the Bilstein setup. I couldn't be happier.

What frustrates me is that how could the DRC system fail after one year of use? I never track the car, I drive downtown from home and back, a long cruise to the mountains occasionally, which is pretty much it of how I put the car to use.

All the best to which decision you wish to go with.
Clunking only means the pressure is low. Perhaps the system was never properly charged, or maybe there was a leak. Did they find any defective parts and if so, did you actually inspect them yourself?
Old 12-11-2012, 07:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
Clunking only means the pressure is low. Perhaps the system was never properly charged, or maybe there was a leak. Did they find any defective parts and if so, did you actually inspect them yourself?
They tried to repressurize it but it wouldn't hold. I've read that the system works in pairs and it's in a cross function, my FR and LR were the culprits, the other pair were holding it's pressure. I would see it being pointless to repair half of the system and then knowing that the other half could fail on me, then having down time again in the shop. I really like DRC, but I'm kind of upset that it failed on me. Then again, it has failed many other RS4 owners.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Well all the reviews I have read of aftermarket systems don't match the DRC in compliance with real world driving. They are harsh compared to it. Cost is similar and IMHO I would get mine repaired if I had issues
Old 12-11-2012, 08:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Reggie
Well all the reviews I have read of aftermarket systems don't match the DRC in compliance with real world driving. They are harsh compared to it. Cost is similar and IMHO I would get mine repaired if I had issues
I'm with you Reggie. I like the DRC and for street it's awesome.
I've run Motons and buddies KW / Ohlins / Penske / on our race cars and they need to be rebuilt. Granted racing takes its toll but depending on where you live and how you drive street driving could be worse. No potholes on racetracks!
Not to diss those who have replaced their DRC but I'd think long and hard before replacing. To come close to mimicking the anti dive / squat / roll capabilities of the DRC will require high spring rates and aggressive damper valving. Not a comfortable street setting. My 2 cents....
Old 12-11-2012, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by petoria
They tried to repressurize it but it wouldn't hold. I've read that the system works in pairs and it's in a cross function, my FR and LR were the culprits, the other pair were holding it's pressure. I would see it being pointless to repair half of the system and then knowing that the other half could fail on me, then having down time again in the shop. I really like DRC, but I'm kind of upset that it failed on me. Then again, it has failed many other RS4 owners.
My point is that it should have been very easy to see where the leak is (was). At that point (parts being so new) it would make sense to replace just that single leaking component for a fraction of the total cost.

On the other hand, if it's a shop that isn't accustomed with working on DRC, they might just not know what they're doing.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
My point is that it should have been very easy to see where the leak is (was). At that point (parts being so new) it would make sense to replace just that single leaking component for a fraction of the total cost.

On the other hand, if it's a shop that isn't accustomed with working on DRC, they might just not know what they're doing.
You are so right. Your video shows how complicated it is
Old 12-11-2012, 11:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

One thing I might consider if I ever have to repair my DRC is installing the RS4 euro springs to lower the car slightly. From what I've been told the dampers that were installed during the recall are the euro spec dampers and the lower euro springs are a perfect mate.
I do like the looks of a lowered RS4 I just don't want to lose the DRC to accomplish it. The euro spring option sounds like a great option to me.
One of the many factors I like when purchasing an RS4 is the DRC and I would keep it at all "reasonable" cost.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by zero2sixty
One thing I might consider if I ever have to repair my DRC is installing the RS4 euro springs to lower the car slightly. From what I've been told the dampers that were installed during the recall are the euro spec dampers and the lower euro springs are a perfect mate.
I do like the looks of a lowered RS4 I just don't want to lose the DRC to accomplish it. The euro spring option sounds like a great option to me.
One of the many factors I like when purchasing an RS4 is the DRC and I would keep it at all "reasonable" cost.
A few of us have done just that. It's called SuperSport Plus suspension and was a Euro-only factory option. It lowers the car about 10mm front and rear and also adds the bigger (22mm instead of 20mm) rear sway bar. I really like it a lot.

Quick Reply: When the DRC replaced under recall fails after 4000 miles