RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Where to have Carbon buildup cleaned in Seattle/Tacoma

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 01:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RCGigHarbor
Do you mind if I ask, is there a dramatic difference in power/performance pre- and post- cleaning?
Barrier didn't share any pre-post pictures of the extent of the carbon build-up my car had, so I don't really know to what extent it needed to be cleaned and was cleaned.

I can say that the car does run better when I first start and drive it in the mornings (parks outside). It feels stronger from 3500 rpm up, really I feel like I notice more low end torque. It definitely pulls all the way to redline, but I felt like it did that before. It feels more like 420hp car should feel, it is quicker. But I wouldn't say its like driving a different car.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Great, thanks. My car is with Larson still for a catalytic converter replacement (the second CEL). Once I get it back I'll give Barrier a call to set up a cleaning. Thanks again for the information.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I gained 35.5 whp on the AMD dyno - after carbon clean + intake port/polish - at mileage 45k.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fitchbuck
I gained 35.5 whp on the AMD dyno - after carbon clean + intake port/polish - at mileage 45k.
who did the work on the car?
Old 10-31-2011, 02:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sakimano
who did the work on the car?
AMD = Addict Motorsports in Woodinville, WA. I don't know anything more about them.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:06 AM
Banned

BTW - my car has a 'semi-permanent' CEL from (according to the seller)the Milltek exhaust... Might this be addressed by the Carbon cleanup?

Thanks for any advice you can provide!
can you expand on this? If you have a Milltek catback, it won't cause a CEL of any sort.

If you have Milltek catless downpipes, you would have a catalyst efficiency code. This can be corrected with o2 spacers, or with an ECU tune, i.e. the JHM one turns off the catalyst efficiency code.

If you have stock downpipes (and cats) then you really shouldn't have a code unless it's something else. If it's 'semi-permanent' does that mean you are able to clear it with vagcom, then it doesn't come back for a while? If so, while you're in there, copy the code and post it in this thread and we can have a look at it for you.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

can you expand on this? If you have a Milltek catback, it won't cause a CEL of any sort.

If you have Milltek catless downpipes, you would have a catalyst efficiency code. This can be corrected with o2 spacers, or with an ECU tune, i.e. the JHM one turns off the catalyst efficiency code.

If you have stock downpipes (and cats) then you really shouldn't have a code unless it's something else. If it's 'semi-permanent' does that mean you are able to clear it with vagcom, then it doesn't come back for a while? If so, while you're in there, copy the code and post it in this thread and we can have a look at it for you.
It turns out the car has Milltek catless downpipes and it's the catalyst efficiency code. The local dealer recommended Achtuning to re-flash the ECU. Does anyone know the implications/consequences of running catless in the state of Washington? BTW - Larson cleared the code with vagcom, and it hasn't reappeared (about 400 miles) yet.

Thanks so much for the information and questions... I appreciate your input!
Old 11-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It turns out the car has Milltek catless downpipes and it's the catalyst efficiency code. The local dealer recommended Achtuning to re-flash the ECU. Does anyone know the implications/consequences of running catless in the state of Washington? BTW - Larson cleared the code with vagcom, and it hasn't reappeared (about 400 miles) yet.

Thanks so much for the information and questions... I appreciate your input!
I am assuming that Achtuning can flash the ECU with a tune that essentially turns off the CEL for the catalyst eff code. If they can eliminate the CEL state emissions won't find anything either. That's how my C5Z works with longtube headers.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by clarkej
I am assuming that Achtuning can flash the ECU with a tune that essentially turns off the CEL for the catalyst eff code. If they can eliminate the CEL state emissions won't find anything either. That's how my C5Z works with longtube headers.
yeah, let's hold up for a second though. If he's going to tune his car, he ought to get the best tune he can. Throwing a GIAC or APR tune on the car may help the CEL, but let's think about it...a Catalyst efficiency code is a problem for passing emissions testing, and that's about it. It's not a primary control that's going to hurt performance.

I would wait for the JHM tune to be ready for widespread release and then step into it. They've been the dominant force in tuning 4.2 Audis over the years, and their RS4 program is pretty exciting.

That catalyst efficiency code isn't going to cause you any problems, other than a ghetto CEL which may be a bit embarassing if someone gets a ride in your fancy audi lol.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

yeah, let's hold up for a second though. If he's going to tune his car, he ought to get the best tune he can. Throwing a GIAC or APR tune on the car may help the CEL, but let's think about it...a Catalyst efficiency code is a problem for passing emissions testing, and that's about it. It's not a primary control that's going to hurt performance.

I would wait for the JHM tune to be ready for widespread release and then step into it. They've been the dominant force in tuning 4.2 Audis over the years, and their RS4 program is pretty exciting.

That catalyst efficiency code isn't going to cause you any problems, other than a ghetto CEL which may be a bit embarassing if someone gets a ride in your fancy audi lol.
Well if the OP's car is due for an WA state emissions check in 2012 (that would be 5 years if its an 07) he might not have the liberty to wait for JHM to formally release their tune. The active CEL will cause the car to fail emissions.

Quick Reply: Where to have Carbon buildup cleaned in Seattle/Tacoma