S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

'04 S4 B6 Aux Radiator Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 11:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I replaced both aux radiators on my 05 S4. I filled the car with G12 coolant and will start it up tomorrow morning to check for leaks. I can't wait to hear that engine start. ..
Old 01-11-2010, 12:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Q-DawgVFR
Oh yeah, forgot to add that while car was in the shop (during the really cold weather) the fan control module $hit the bed and failed; fans would not shut off and drained battery.

Add another $300 Cdn for fan module......
I am finding that parts avaiability is the biggest hassle. Other than the Ebahn program and parts costs.

I need a part and end up waiting WEEKS to get my hands on it. Then I get shorted or they send me the wrong parts.

Quickest service that I've received to date is thru ECSTuning.com
Reasonable shipping rates as well.

So far I have the engine, intake manifold, down pipes and cats, all the springs and struts, wheel bearings, clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder, center diff, brake rotors,pads, ss lines, all control arms, steering rack, sway bars, heater core, aux radiators, coils, cat-back exhaust, power steering pump, starter, alternator, crank pulley, and numerous peices and parts.

Engine is about ready to be reinstalled along with the front suspension. Then the rear suspension and then brakes.

If I'm lucky, I'll be testing it by March.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's a common repair

Independent Tuning here in Toronto fixed me up for $325 - both sides.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

damn I would have paid someone to fix it for $325!!! I bought both aux radiators from genuineaudi . .and it was $185 each, not to mention after putting them in. ..the driver side aux radiator has a small leak - probably due to the radiator being damaged from shipping, the shipping box looks abused with a nice hole in it.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The Aux radiators are pretty easy to replace when the radiator is out of the way. Here is a DIY for taking off the front bumper. I will be posting up an engine removal DIY soon that will show how the radiator is taken off.

Enjoy

http://www.euroaddiction.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17
Old 01-12-2010, 11:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

There really should be a recall on these garbage radiators...Mine is in the shop right now getting both replaced
(04 43k miles). I brought it to the stealership, told them smoke was coming out by the passenger fog light. They, naturally, couldn't find anything wrong while it was there. 7 days later, I explain to the service rep that the aux radiators will not run fluid unless the motor gets hot enough and that they should take the car out for a decent drive. Calls me back that night and tells me both radiators are leaking. Idiots.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Had one of mine replaced under CPO no questions asked at about 42K miles. I'm guessing the other one will go out sooner or later, but I have a bit over a year left on the CPO.....so if it goes, it will get done under it. Once the CPO ends, I may sell the S4. Its a bit of a quandry and I'm not going to buy an aftermarket warranty. Besides that, its been no problem at all. Still in 2011 when my CPO ends, I may cough, cough consider a Mustang GT with the 420 Hp motor or a Camereooooooo SS with the RS package. Bt then the Z28 package may be out too. My hair is thinning, so no more mullets for me. Still here in DC, the brothers seem to like the SS Camaro sort of like they like the 'Buyas. So the demographic seems to be going beyond the white redneck for them, which is interesting.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by cecilseahawks
There really should be a recall on these garbage radiators...
Are they really "garbage?"

Granted, I'm not thrilled at the prospect of having to shell out $2K to have mine replaced eventually, but they've lasted longer in most cases than BMW's historically weak radiators.

I doubt it would be as painful if the car didn't have to be largely disassembled to get to them, but then again considering the serpentine belt is also a $600 repair because of the need to pull the bumper out to service position…
Old 01-18-2010, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes, they are garbage. There is no reason for a radiator to go out that fast. Comparing them to BMW's reliability record is just ridiculous. Why don't we compare it to a Toyota. It's all relative. Neither Audi or BMW should have as many problems as they do. German engineering has lost its excellence ever since East and West merged.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

German engineering has lost its excellence ever since East and West merged.[/QUOTE]

I respectfully disagree. And to corral Audi/VW with BMW is a stretch. I have owned many and do still own a BMW. Have I had radiator problems? ...once. However, to compare the engineering statdards between the two cars is impossible. The BMW is 10x the car. It's better built and it's much easier to work on.
My M5 has 65,000 miles on it and I have had zero defects. Not one.
The Passats and A4's that I have owned have all been a real mess and VERY expensive to service and maintain. In fact, my 99 Passat was the most expensive car I ever owned. And this includes two Porsches put together.

So Why am I going to such great expence on an S4? Because I love cars and I'm stupid and it's cheaper than cocaine.

However, I do agree with you on one note...go buy a Toyota if you don't like to pay the Audi shop. No question you will save money. But you will also be driving an old ladies car. Slow old ladies car.