S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

2005 S4 - Supercharger Upgrade? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 S4 - Supercharger Upgrade? Help!

Ok so I currently have a 2005 S4 B6. I was down at my local Audi Tuner looking into supercharger upgrades and I know about MTM but I dont want to spend that kind of money. Anyway to make a long story short he showed me the PES G4 Supercharger it Retails at $8,495. He said they had never put a supercharger on the B6s only on the B5s. Anyway what do you guys think of this supercharger? Also is there any other ones I can look at that are in this price range? Any help would be great! Thank you!
Old 01-18-2010, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Oh also he mentioned that my engine was built to handle the gains of the supercharger. The only worry he had was the fact that I have the Tiptronic Automatic tranny and he said that that may cause a problem. (Not sure what the problem was he said he needed to do some research to ensure it would be compatible.) Anyway let me know! thank you
Old 01-19-2010, 07:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am in the process of having PES and 303 Motorsports install the kit to my 2004 S4. I am so excited. I am having it dyn'od as well and will post the charts when I get them.

Your tuning shop is wrong on the PES, it is actually the 6-speeds that were giving the supercharger a little issue. They have this resolved and you want to make sure that your kit has the new pulley system.

I would make sure that your tuning shop is not experimenting on your car. I would call PES and have them organize the install.

The Stage 1 is 5 PSI and the stage 2 is 7 PSI. These are well within the tolerances of the 4.2 engine.

Finally....both the Stage 1 and Stage 1+ are designed to work with the Tip and Manual. Only the Stage 2 is designed specifically for a manual.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Both PES and VF sell superharger kits. The VF runs less boost, but claim more power and use GIAC software. PES does their own code. both have websites that explain it all....google them..
Old 01-19-2010, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AzGhostS4
... He said they had never put a supercharger on the B6s only on the B5s.
Is that really what he meant?
Old 01-20-2010, 06:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good catch! If you are quoting your tuning shop, I would run away....FAST!
Old 01-20-2010, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The Eaton M90 that the current companies offer with their super charger kits are inefficent for our motor. Let's look at it this way...

At 85% efficiency our motors require 430+ CFM. Keep in mind that is not even running at 100% efficiency. Now, the you can get 500CFM out of the Eaton M90 unit. 70CFM and it takes 30+hp to drive the supercharger. It seems to me that the cost vs performance gain out of these units leaves us wanting more with little in our pockets.

For more in depth infromation you can read some literature here...

http://www.euroaddiction.net/forum/showthread.php?t=413

To keep it short though i would avoid a S/C unit for this platform until a more efficient unit is used.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well.

We will see what happens. I will have the before and after dyno numbers to prove or disprove your statement. I stress, however, that I live at an extreme altitude and the supercharger will significantly close that gap I have been missing for all of these years. My reasoning for getting the Supercharger probably has a lot more to do with have a naturally aspirating engine at 8000ft above sea level and wanting to experience the S4 in its true form.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"To keep it short though i would avoid a S/C unit for this platform until a more efficient unit is used"

That won't happen, why put R&D money into an older platform? We should be glad for the little we have from PES and VF. But I am going to go the lightweight route first...forged wheels, alcons, DP's and exhaust and GIAC....I estimate saving close to 60 or so pounds of weight,losing weight or adding HP....same thing except no torque gains of course. Losing weight at wheels is really good for unsprung weight and less rolling and turning inertia.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nitro1
Well.

We will see what happens. I will have the before and after dyno numbers to prove or disprove your statement.
why bother? I know 5 people who have had the same dyno numbers to disprove this statement. Dyno means jack for a blower attached to this platform. ALl (VF + PES) M90 supercharged cars are showing dynos in the 450-500 crank hp range (350-415whp).

Yet...when they are run down a quarter mile track they're performaing exactly like 420 crank hp RS4s...which weigh 100 lbs more than the MT6 S4. I can only assume that Joey is correct...go read that thread he linked for a real eye-opener.

Further, JHM modified cars are running the same quarter mile times as the supercharged VF and PES cars. Does that mean JHM's bolt on parts are making the S4 a 500hp killer? Not likely. It means that JHM's bolt ons are delivering about the same power as the supercharger kit (i.e. 2.5" downpipes/2.5" Fast Intentions catback/JHM tune and a few lightweight bits like rotors and crank pulley.

Save your money.

Quick Reply: 2005 S4 - Supercharger Upgrade? Help!