S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

2006 S4 vs. Lexus IS350

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 S4 vs. Lexus IS350

I really want my next car to be an S4 but I am still concerned about reliability. I have read allot about problems concerning the S4 on this forum and am having 2nd thoughts about going with audi over Lexus. Any1 feel free to convince me one way or another.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default different small sedans

S4 - more performance, all wheel drive, less reliability, great ergonomics, more expensive (low to mid $50's optioned out)

IS350 - slower, but not a pig, more emphasis on luxury than sport (from what I have read), no MT, cheaper. Reliability likely good as it is a Toyota

BMW 330i - similar performance to the IS 350 when equipped with a MT, new body so reliability is up in the air, but BMW has better reliability than Audi (anecdotal experience). Can consider the 330xi if you need AWD, but it is a bit slower.

I am getting an S4 over a 330xi as I wanted a car that is mid to low fives 0-60, not mid to low sixes. I like the ergonomics of the Audi better. I, too, am concerned that I will end up with another unreliable car, but I am giving Audi one more chance. When Audi's run right, they are sweet cars.

I will be honest, if BMW made an M3x (AWD), there would be no contest in my mind.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

No MT in the IS350...only available with less robust 250...a deal killer in my book
Old 09-12-2005, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you've already made it clear.

you want an S4 (first sentence), so get one. with any german marque it is hit or miss. some people have had horrors and others none. i am one of the latter. 3 audis. 6 years. zero problems. don't settle for a car because of reliability...you'll always wonder about the other side. if you want a manual then you don't have a choice between the two anyway.

BTW- no direct comparos yet but i think the S4 will hand the IS350's ***.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If it helps

Consumer Reports now recommends the A4/S4 due to average or better than average quality andn reliability. Also, Consumer Reports now rates the quality and reliability of Audi as a whole nearly as high as Toyota, Lexus, Honda, Acura and Subaru and much higher than BMW, Mercedes, Volkswagen, Gaguar-err-Jaguar and Junk Rover-err-Land Rover. JD Power and Associates (no, not you JDBlueAudiS4) and Strategic Vision strongly beg to differ. But keep in mind that CR surveys 800,000+ vehicle owners a year vs. significantly less than that from JD P&A and SV combined (I don't know the exact numbers). Sounds to me like CR readers experiences are more typical of what to expect from any vehicle than JD P&A and SV subscribers' experiences, don't you think? I know I used to bash CR to no end. How embarrassing is that?! But truth be told, CR is on the ball more often than they are wrong. I honestly believe that CR is right on the ball here. OTOH, JD P&A and SV are on the ball as often as they are wrong. I honestly believe that JD P&A and SV are wrong here. Also keep in mind that AudiWorld make up a very small percentage of Audi owners worldwide. Perhaps a vast majority of the satisfied Audi owners (which includes Howard Stern, BTW) choose not to visit the forums. Apparently, these days there are a lot more satisfied Audi owners than dissatisfied Audi owners, according to the surveys.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:09 AM

Default "Junk Rover" WTF? You've obviosly never owned one or...

you'd know there both bulletproof and reliable. I absolutely love mine, best SUV I've ever owned.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Everyone I know who owns one gets rid of it becuase it spends more time in the shop then any other..

car. Hell ford has better reliability then they do from what I ahev seen.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:40 AM

Default You must have some unlucky friends, I've owned 3 Ford SUVs,

and all were pretty reliable, but I'll take the L.R. in Plushness, off road ability, reliability, and resale. I had a really nice '73 Bronco, now they were also built very stout (Ford 9" rear, Dana 44 up front and fully boxed frame) but the L.R. beats it hands down for reliability and off road ability. I've also owned and off-roaded Chevy, Dodge, and several Toyoyas. Just my opinion/experience.
Cheers!
Old 09-12-2005, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

2nd. Every person I knew/know with one bitches/bitched about the constant shop time.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default LR Resale?

Please they lose their value faster then anything i have seen. The only part of the brand that even comes close to holding its value is the range, and they too loose value very quickly.

Quick Reply: 2006 S4 vs. Lexus IS350