S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

2008 S4 vs. 2008 A6 4.2? What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 S4 vs. 2008 A6 4.2? What do you think?

I am going to buy one of the two as a daily driver. Both new on lots, untitled, deeply discounted. Both about the same price. Did any of you consider the A6 4.2 before buying an S4? What swayed you? thanks
Old 08-14-2009, 08:40 AM
RDD
AudiWorld Senior Member

If you need more room (and a heavier car) go with the A6.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I considered both, (well the S4 Avant) and the A6. They were the final two cars on my list to decide between. It came down to the fact that one can put something much taller in the "trunk" of the S4 Avant. In my case, I'm putting guitar amps back there. Can't really do that in the A6 without scuffing up the seats and it is still very inconvenient for loading/unloading. Can't beat a wagon!

You must keep in mind that the S4 is not really designed (in my opinion) for rear seat comfort. It seems to me that there are a couple seats back there just in case you have to bring more people along but it is NOT intended for long road trips for 4 adults (again, in my opinion).

The ride of the S4 is stiffer. Let's face it, the S4 is more of a sports car than the A6. The A6 is much more comfortable for long rides, although the S4, on the highway, is pretty darn smooth. The A6 floats more (but it's not a luxo-barge nor does it handle poorly) but it's no cruise liner, so to speak. It is a NICE car.

Also, the electronics on the A6 are much better, as far as I know. If you are an iPod user, keep in mind that you will never see track names in a B7 S4 unless you gut the NAV and replace it with something aftermarket. You can't choose more than 5 playlists and you won't see the names of those either. I don't know much about the A6 electronics except I get the impression that they are "better", whatever that means. Everything is quite similar between the two, but I suggest pushing every button you can and using all the functions. If you have a buddy who is familar with Audis I suggest bring him/her along.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am curious as to folks thoughts on this as well. I am actually looking at the same two cars, albeit used. An S4 Avant is my first choice, but am having a hard time finding one used at all, the sedan is my second but due to pricing the reality of me getting into my 3rd choice, A6 4.2 is most likely.

Ipod stuff asside, are there anyother digital media limitations with the RNS-e in these cars. How does the media card reader work with MP3's and WMA encoded cards?

How is the 4.2 A6 geared, obvious it isn't an S car, but having the same engine as the S4 should make it somewhat sporty, or is the tranny tuning different. I recently sold a 2003 Infiniti M45 with the 345bhp engine and loved that V8, but the way the tranny was geared and the computer was programs (DSD, etc) it didn't perform anywhere near what a 345bhp car should have, although 0-60 in 5.7 isn't bad.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:00 AM
Banned

4400 lbs 350hp, very little engine/exhaust note, soft ride, tan leather and wood interior (good guess), lots of space and 191 inch long car = A6

3875 lbs 340hp, intoxicating engine/exhaust note, firm ride, black Recaro super-seats, carbon fibre or aluminium trim, limited space and 181 inch long car.

these are both great, but are very different. If you like to go fast and have a special car, but don't have adults in the back seat too often, get the S4. If you like to take it easy, have full sized people in your back seats regularly, and don't mind a car that your dad or older neighbour would drive, get the A6.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:02 AM
Banned

the S4 with NAV has 2 SD card slots. Due to hardware limitations, you can only use SD..not SDHC, so your maximum size is 4GB.

Originally Posted by NFAudi06
Ipod stuff asside, are there anyother digital media limitations with the RNS-e in these cars. How does the media card reader work with MP3's and WMA encoded cards?
Old 09-04-2009, 04:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sakimano
4400 lbs 350hp, very little engine/exhaust note, soft ride, tan leather and wood interior (good guess), lots of space and 191 inch long car = A6

3875 lbs 340hp, intoxicating engine/exhaust note, firm ride, black Recaro super-seats, carbon fibre or aluminium trim, limited space and 181 inch long car.

these are both great, but are very different. If you like to go fast and have a special car, but don't have adults in the back seat too often, get the S4. If you like to take it easy, have full sized people in your back seats regularly, and don't mind a car that your dad or older neighbour would drive, get the A6.

1) S4 - teen/college tuner car, been around since dinasours with no increase in power, heavy, not a sports car, not a luxury car, some kind of in-betweener, common on the road, etc.

1) A6 4.2 - better/latest technology, improved interior styling, within .5 seconds of performance of the S4, but with room for kids, people, whatever. Safer (better crash ratings), more stable at high speeds, easily upgraded through S line package and OEM S/RS6 carbon fiber trim.

I am leaning toward buying the S4, but not because A6 is some wood trim luxo-cruiser. Yes, you can spec/buy one that way. But I think that in a grey/silver color w/black interior and the S Line package, its a nice ride. I agree that the wood trim has to go...but for less than $2k, you can replace with the carbon fiber trim, giving a nice look.

Still on the fence about these...
Old 09-09-2009, 06:05 AM
Banned

good emotional reply! Buy the A6 if you're so set on defending it. Sounds like you hate the S4 and love the A6.

unfortuantely nobody told you that neither teens nor tuners like the S4. Too expensive to buy, and WAY too expensive to mod. For $5,000 in mods you get an extra 70hp out of an S4 engine. For the same money you can wring 250hp out of a B5 S4.

Also, Audi sold a grand total of 600 S4 Avants in North America in 2008...and not many more sedans. Not common in the least...although they did sell 10 times as many A6 cars.

As for 'performance' of the A6, I think you're dreaming. When you mention 'within 0.5 seconds' I'll assume you're magazine racing and quoting a 0-60mph test or something. Take an A6 around a corner, then take a B7 S4 around a corner with the better stance, the RS4 sway and the RS4 T3 60/40 diff and then we'll talk about performance. If 0-60mph is your thing though, the Honda Accord V6 matches the A6. Just get one of those.

p.s. as for replacing wood with Carbon Fibre trim, you can probably get it done for about $700. Not $2000, unless you order a full set of trim from the dealership. Just have yours 'overlaid' by Carbon Copy Designs or by oCarbon.

Originally Posted by jtrichel
Oh come on, you have stacked your argument. Just for example, let me do the same ---

1) S4 - teen/college tuner car, been around since dinasours with no increase in power, heavy, not a sports car, not a luxury car, some kind of in-betweener, common on the road, etc.

1) A6 4.2 - better/latest technology, improved interior styling, within .5 seconds of performance of the S4, but with room for kids, people, whatever. Safer (better crash ratings), more stable at high speeds, easily upgraded through S line package and OEM S/RS6 carbon fiber trim.

I am leaning toward buying the S4, but not because A6 is some wood trim luxo-cruiser. Yes, you can spec/buy one that way. But I think that in a grey/silver color w/black interior and the S Line package, its a nice ride. I agree that the wood trim has to go...but for less than $2k, you can replace with the carbon fiber trim, giving a nice look.

Still on the fence about these...
Old 09-10-2009, 08:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sakimano
good emotional reply! Buy the A6 if you're so set on defending it. Sounds like you hate the S4 and love the A6.

unfortuantely nobody told you that neither teens nor tuners like the S4. Too expensive to buy, and WAY too expensive to mod. For $5,000 in mods you get an extra 70hp out of an S4 engine. For the same money you can wring 250hp out of a B5 S4.

Also, Audi sold a grand total of 600 S4 Avants in North America in 2008...and not many more sedans. Not common in the least...although they did sell 10 times as many A6 cars.

As for 'performance' of the A6, I think you're dreaming. When you mention 'within 0.5 seconds' I'll assume you're magazine racing and quoting a 0-60mph test or something. Take an A6 around a corner, then take a B7 S4 around a corner with the better stance, the RS4 sway and the RS4 T3 60/40 diff and then we'll talk about performance. If 0-60mph is your thing though, the Honda Accord V6 matches the A6. Just get one of those.

p.s. as for replacing wood with Carbon Fibre trim, you can probably get it done for about $700. Not $2000, unless you order a full set of trim from the dealership. Just have yours 'overlaid' by Carbon Copy Designs or by oCarbon.
my previous Audis are -- C5 RS6 and B7 RS4... I think that I have probably settled on a new B8 S4, the pricing is a value to me... my only point with my response was to point out how emotional and one sided your post seemed to me... was hoping for some perspective on drivability, etc...

anyway, alls well that ends well
Old 09-14-2009, 05:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jtrichel
my previous Audis are -- C5 RS6 and B7 RS4... I think that I have probably settled on a new B8 S4, the pricing is a value to me... my only point with my response was to point out how emotional and one sided your post seemed to me... was hoping for some perspective on drivability, etc...

anyway, alls well that ends well
I don't really think it was too one sided...I read it again, and I made the wood joke, but honestly that was all truth about the two cars.

Why go from an RS6 to an RS4 to an A4 3.0T? Just tired of depreciating assets sitting in the driveway? Or are you less in the need for speed than you used to?

B8 S4 is a fantastic value, but it's no Renn Sport car...just be forewarned. Personally I'd keep the RS4 to about 100,000 miles...then sell it and buy an RS5. That's the car that will really stoke your fire. RS4 powertrain with better breathing and about 450-460hp...stunning looks. Can't beat that really.

If you don't like the idea of a coupe, then buy a B8 S4 at that time, which will have the kinks worked out (and the modifications market will be a little more filled out). With software, you'll match your RS4 hp, and exceed its torque.

Quick Reply: 2008 S4 vs. 2008 A6 4.2? What do you think?