S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

After installing the KW V3's and H-sports I get a clunking over small bumps.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After installing the KW V3's and H-sports I get a clunking over small bumps.....

I am friends with an Audi technician at my local dealer who installed all this stuff many times before, so he is quiet knowledged on all the products. And neither of us can figure out what can be clunking. It almost sounds like its metal to metal, my first thought was the strut was not secure to the strut tower, but I was wrong. Everything checks out as tight and installed properly. When we bounce the car it makes the noise as well, but it is impossible to tell where the sound is coming from and you can feel the vibration it makes throughout all the suspension components. I wrote an email to KW in regards to this and am still waiting for a reply.

I am not sure however that it is in fact a problem with a front coilover. My friend said that the previous KW V3 systems he installed were only one spring setup whereas mine are the new ones with dual springs. Don't know if this is causing the problem though. What is the point of those springs anyways?

Any advice would be great at this point thanks for all the help.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default KW NA is out till Jan. 6; apparently just like the mothership...

You probably won't hear back from then till after that. My S4 KW V3 front end creaks during low-speed turns. This is said to be "normal"; it apparently emanates from the front spring bearing on the strut perch. No apparent performance effects, although I do not drive the S4 particularly hard. There is a clunk in the rear end of my SVT Focus (also equipped with V3s) over bumps (like manhole cover depressions), but everything is snug. That MIGHT be the rear hatch. No apparent performance effects for that either. And that car's suspension does get stressed a bit more.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:50 PM

Default Re: After installing the KW V3's and H-sports I get a clunking over small bumps.....

I have the same problem and it is driving me nuts, stops after I drive a couple of miles and lessens as you increase the firmness of the compression settings.

I have a couple of replacement shocks on the way from KW although I've wondered if the helper springs are involved.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Replacement shocks? How do your rate, mang?

They are rebuilding my little car's left front strut!
Old 12-22-2004, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Replacement shocks? How do your rate, mang?

I bought them from a distributer in CA that had them shipped directly from KW Germany. He's made arrangements for the replacements and I'm suppose to ship the original ones back to Germany after I receive the the new ones.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So that means you believe that it is in fact the coilovers?
Old 12-22-2004, 02:09 PM

Default KW variant 3's aren't for amatuers looking to vary ride height....

they need to be cornered balanced plus you have
rebound and damper settings. I've always considered them to be strictly track coilovers.
H&R's are pretty neophyte. Progressive spring
and adjustable spring perches. Simple stuff.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

We are waiting for them to settle in before we corner balance.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:11 PM

Default Re: So that means you believe that it is in fact the coilovers?

I'll know after I make the swap.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:11 PM

that addresses ride height at least.

Quick Reply: After installing the KW V3's and H-sports I get a clunking over small bumps.....