S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

After Market Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on the feedback, it looks like BOSE OEM is a good deal?
Old 04-19-2004, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Based on the feedback, it looks like BOSE OEM is a good deal?

The Bose upgrade is a excellent deal.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:25 PM

Default Yes - but only if you intend to leave the sound system alone after that.

The Bose systems tend to be tweaked in ways that don't lend themselves to easy replacement of any of the parts without making a mess out of the resulting sound. There are lots of little items like reverse polarity on selected speakers and small distributed amps for other speakers. Many folks have tried to mess around with aftermarket speakers in the factory Bose systems and have concluded that you really have to yank out the whole wiring harness and start over.

It's not a system that lends itself to mods.

Having said that, I like this version of the Bose lots better than the versions that were in the B5 A4 and S4 cars and have no regrets over having purchased the option.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Based on the feedback, it looks like BOSE OEM is a good deal?

OK! I will take you guys advise and order the BOSE.
I will see my dealer this Sat to finalize my 2005 S4. Hope it goes fine!
Old 04-19-2004, 12:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good Luck. Unless you are into crazy custom sound systems, you will be happy with Bose/Sat radio
Old 04-19-2004, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Focal or MB Quart
Old 04-19-2004, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Agree with the Focal and MB Quart, maybe Boston Pros

Focal makes a great speaker. Only prob is that there aren't many dealers so they are hard to listen to. I had one of the lower lines in my old car (Polyglass) and those speakers sounded better than many out there so I can only imagine what the polykevlar or utopia sound like. MB Quart are very nice, but a little over priced. Boston makes a decent set too, but the pro's are very expensive. Can't really go wrong with any of those and a good amp to power them.
Old 04-19-2004, 04:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: After Market Speakers

The shark fin is standard with or without Bose because the radio is Satellite ready.
Old 04-19-2004, 05:31 PM

Default Stock system is just fine,glad I got it

The Bose system use paper cone speakers,just like the stock speakers do.The added 50 watts from their amp. is to small an increase to make much difference.I had a complete Bose home theater system in my living room & could never hear the words from the center channel.My stereo store Magnolia Hi Fi had been telling me Bose was junk & the best thing they do is advertise but they are just living on their past.I bought Vienna Accoustics & what a difference I can finally hear woreds clean & clearly.IMHO Bose is not worth the money.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Dynaudio

It's not the easiest speaker to find, but you won't find a better speaker. It's the speaker that people with MB Quart and Focal speakers graduate to at some point. Probably the finest speaker you can buy. Get a great installer who knows the importance of speaker placement and direction. You can place them in the stock locations but he might angle them slightly. You want the Dynaudio 240 GT. They are 6.5" woofers and a 1.1" tweet (stock is 1.5"). They are pricey, no doubt. But not a whole lot more than the other two previously mentioned.

My wallet is itching right now because I have the Bose but I'm not satisfied with the way it sounds. Not enough separation and it has an artificial, cheap sound, although not bad for a factory system. It's amazing what Bose can do with the garbage they use for materials. I want to keep the head unit (it just looks so right.... all that red) but rip out all the speakers and the amplifier. I don't know how crazy you're going to get, but I have information on how to use an aftermarket amp with the factory head unit and info on the specs and speaker locations and sizes for the Bose system in our cars. Got that from Bose (but it's on my computer at work).

If you don't go with the Dyn's, I'd recommend the ADS 236is or the 346is. Also great speakers and they'll cost a bit less.

Quick Reply: After Market Speakers