S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

To all the RS4 haters,complainers,whiners, skipscops and scalywags

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default We have only our fellow countrymen to thank

I agree that we should have that choice but remember this is still a business and you have to see how (ze germans) view us yanks. They think we are a bunch of ignorant, fast food shoveling, full size truck loving, cheap beer swilling simpletons that will stomp on the gas when you want to stop cause you were too busy looking for a cupholder to put your super big gulp in. And now you will try to sue them for not clearly labeling the brake pedal or having adequete beverage stowing capacity.
Usually they are right, but for the other .01 percent of us that lust after thier top-end cars we get what ever scraps the think one of the other lot may consider if they have a few bucks.

It seems that they are teaching to the back of class and hopefully in the future will be able to get all of their offerings. But until then all we can do is educate the masses that Avant does not mean family truckster in german.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Drive the car before you decide

It seems that the right side of your brain is quite strong. But I think a drive in the RS4 is the Atom bomb your left side needs to end the conflict.
I understad you concern but why do you care what other people think about how you spend your money. I would get similiar reactions if anybody knew how much money I have spent on speaker cables. (Audioquest Calderas for those that know)
Old 03-03-2005, 07:25 PM

I plan on it. Just not mine.;-) I like 'em less tubby and with more torque.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Humble, ain't ya?

Could you pack any more broad negative stereotypes about Americans (carefully excepting yourself of course) in one post?!

Please. Audi is in the business of making money. The options and features they choose to bring to the US are based on what they think will sell best. I'm (slightly) considering putting money down on an RS4 myself, but I'd prefer seats like the Recaros in my S4 to the radical ones in the pictures. And I'm not a fat, knuckle dragging, bucktoothed, neanderthal - at least last time I checked with the cave wife.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Love the RS4, I too am amused by all the speculating, but

you're making an 'emporers new clothes' argument, i.e., that anyone who doesn't like it or think it's worth the $$, just doesn't understand it. Using words like 'esoteric' doesn't explain the allure, only why certain people (those who value 'esoteric' things) WILL be willing to spend $70k while others (who value value) WILL NOT.

To say the comparison between an RS4 and a 997 or Z06 is not relevant is ridiculous. I'm sure some buyers place a lot of value on the rarity of a car like an RS6 or RS4, but equal numbers of people buy their sports cars for the thrill the performance that the car offers. Those people will compare cars based on performance per $ spent.

And at the risk of being labelled a backwards American, I think it's comical that people keep ripping the Vette for the same old 'plastic interior' garbage? Considering that everywhere you look in test are test the C5/6 is spanking European sportscars of similar power and much more $$ around track after track, maybe it's time to give the car some credit. I can tell you that my brother's 05 C6 will walk away from my S4 - in a straight line, in a corner, on a track, in the rain, on a plane.... Not that I have any desire to own a C6, but it is a pretty amazing car. As are those cars made by that little company named Porsche that, while not as 'esoteric' as an RS4, are pretty damn fine automobiles.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:24 PM

damn right!
Old 03-03-2005, 09:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Did you happen to catch the Top Gear review of the C6

I love the corvette and adore the Z06 but it is not all things to all men. There is no such thing as a perfect car and I can't understand why people seem to get upset because different people have different tastes. On the Top Gear review they had a drag race with C6 against Europe's best and the Honda NSX. Long story short the C6 lost to the NSX and the TVR 350. Top Gear liked the car but also pointed out the cheap interior and ancient leaf-spring design. Despite it faults the corvette is a great car and I have yet to see anyone dispute that.

Esoteric: 1. restricted to or intended for an enlightened or initiated minority, especially because of abstruseness (i.e. not easy to understand) or obscurity.
What word would you choose to describe cars like the RS4? A 400+ HP compact sedan that most will dismiss as another A4. I am sure you have encountered people that have a hard time comprehending the difference between an S4 and an A4 let alone a RS4.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:43 PM

...and the RS 6!
Old 03-04-2005, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yep, it's too expensive, it's too heavy, it's still not as good as the M5...on and on

until we see the price and what we are getting any discussionn is academic. Enough people will want one that Audi shouldn't have too much trouble selling them.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Agree on all points.

My only point was that the fact that someone appreciates the RS4, does not make them the 'enlightened' one. There are very valid reasons for loving the RS4 and there are very valid reasons for questioning it's price/value combination. And given the fact that car purchase and ownership is also very emotional and personal, much of the analysis goes out the window.

I think the RS4 will sell well (in small volumes) and I will consider it. But I am one of those people who feels the performance of stock S4 is more than one ever needs on the street and so dropping $20k more for the moderate additional performance just to add the 'R' to the status of my car may not be worth it. I'm going to reserve judgement until I read and see a lot more about this car.

Quick Reply: To all the RS4 haters,complainers,whiners, skipscops and scalywags