S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Any one ever run SNOW CABLES on thier S4. I bought some

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think it means you were just going slower, no?

I have just been made aware (courtesy of bartcatz) of this article. If you have the chance, read it...it's spot-on.<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/misc17.shtml">https://www.audiworld.com/tech/misc17.shtml</a</li></ul>
Old 12-29-2004, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default So how about some answers about SNOW CABLES? that was the issue, not whether

or not I should have snow tires - I admit - I was a bad boy- the posted road restrictions said 4x4 with snows or 2wd with chains only. never the less - The car performed flawlessly in the conditions I encountered this specific time. As well as SUV's on snows and Honda's, and 2WD pick-ups with chains onthe driven wheels. maybe it wasnt the Quattro maybe just luck or my driving skill?

Now how about those Cables?
Old 12-29-2004, 03:54 PM

It DOES say "no chains" in the manual. I too would like to know if cables would work.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It could mean a number of things.....

he was following me like I was holding him up - I let him pass - I was following him for about a mile and then he went off - he could have done something really stupid - my technique was to brake in a straight line and then use gentle throttle in the corner. the front AWD bias can pull you though the corner.

what I do now is that he got out of the ditch and if I had gone in I would doubt if I would have gotten out,
Old 12-29-2004, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I put one on and it seemed to fit but I did not drive with them.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:08 PM

LOL. Our cars are l-o-w!
Old 12-29-2004, 06:59 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So when somebody presents information as opinion, we should

let it slide (no pun intended), simply because it's an opinion, regardless of whether the information presented is entirely accurate?

Here's a fact: summer tire compounds freeze below 40 degrees, which results in traction losses.

While your subjective observation was that your S was safer than a RWD car with winters, you've conveniently left out a whole host of variables that may have led to conclusion. In general, your opinion contradicts facts and real world experiences.

This isn't about jumping down people's throats, and it's not about hurting your feelings. This is about presenting truthful and factual information. It's one of the reasons people find these forums so useful. Get used to it.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default maybe what he means is that if you were not in my shoes (drivers seat) don't be so quick to judge...

you didnt observe the conditions or experience what I did - would I have felt safer on snows yes - did I make it down in snow with summer tires no problem? yes.

I know summer tires dont like cold - hence I used the brakes a lot (gently) to keep heat in the tires.

also - my example was comparing trucks and SUV on snow tires - with thier high centero f gravity they tend to handle much worse in any condition.

I bet an S4 in the wet would outhandle most SUV's in the dry.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default does it really say "and the like"?....guess I should read it.....but as

you know everyone here does not treat it as the bible (break in etc) wondered if anyone had done it - sounds like most in wintery climates go with snows.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default well I am living proof here to tell you that in ......

my specific experience it was no death trap- not even close....I would have taken the S4 with summer tires over any SUV......

and $1400 is a lot for a one time trip to the snow for three days - If we decide to do it regularly, rest assured I will get snows on the car. there- I said it - are you happy now.?

Quick Reply: Any one ever run SNOW CABLES on thier S4. I bought some