S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Anybody install the ice link plus or the Audi iPod adaptor by themselve? Pictures, instructions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody install the ice link plus or the Audi iPod adaptor by themselve? Pictures, instructions?
Old 01-23-2006, 07:38 AM
Elder Member

Default I'm working on a solution to run Sat/Ipod at the same time without having or running into

electrical issues. I think I understand why Audi didn't go the extra mile to accomdate both at the same time. I'm waiting for the OE adapter to come in so I can start building my solution. I will do a write-up when I'm done.. and if people like the solution, I'll start selling it at a resonable price (i.e. +$5 over the cost of parts). Got any specific questions?
Old 01-23-2006, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Nope.. just would like to know how easy of the installation is and would like to DIY.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts
Default I have both running together

and it wasn't that difficult. Just getting the right parts is a little tricky...<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/audio/msgs/49890.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/audio/msgs/49890.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 01-23-2006, 09:45 AM
Elder Member

Default So what he's pretty much done is.....

shared the audi inputs of the phatbox/ipod with the sat inputs (L, R, Ground). This method is the alternative to using the passive mixer (i.e. use of resistors with a 6dB attenuation hit on both sources). From what I understand (and I agree with), unless the the sources are powered down when not in use (i.e. if you select Sat, the Ipod is powered down and vice versa), you run the risk of having feedback that could cause damage to the sat/ipod/phat. Considering these cars are infamous for having electrical issues, and knowing difficult warranty issues can be (don't get me started on this), I think the best way of going about it is a selector switch. This way, you won't run that risk, you won't suffer attenuation and the install is simplified to the behind the headunit and glovebox.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:02 AM
Elder Member

Default From what I know/have read, it's a cake install.. it's a matter of

pulling out the headunit, splicing some wire and routing the connection to the glovebox. Problem is, there's the safe way of doing it and the not so safe way.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If he is me...

then I'm not sharing any inputs. I'm routing the audio l/r/g from the iPod adapter back to the audio pass-through (audio in) on the SAT receiver. I also route the CDC control and power wires from the head unit to the iPod adapter. This way it's wired just like the original OEM solution when a CD changer and SAT radio is installed, not sharing any input and not dealing with passive mixers.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:46 AM
Elder Member

Default The sat has an accessible audio in? Last time I pulled the fvcker I didn't see one and the module

itself was sealed tight.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:15 PM
Elder Member

Wait.. you still have feedback/input issues from the ipod to the sat.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Pin 3/4/8 are the audio pass-through on the SAT receiver

those are used for any audio source controlled via the CD changer port.

Regarding the noise when changing tracks on the iPod, this went away when I replaced my Audi adapter with my Dension IceLink. Same cables, no more noise. Therefore I assume it's the adapter and not the harness I built.

I played a little more with both adapters, you can find the results at the link below...<ul><li><a href="http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1816">http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1816</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: Anybody install the ice link plus or the Audi iPod adaptor by themselve? Pictures, instructions?