S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Anyone on the board come from an R32 or have opinions on the car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone on the board come from an R32 or have opinions on the car?

I am thinking about replacing the S4 with the R32 but of course I am worried about the size and the build quality of the VW versus the Audi. Any advice on whether to jump or not?
Old 05-06-2006, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I like...especially what HPA can do for this car.

be sure to watch the video on the 2nd page of the link<ul><li><a href="http://www.motortrend.com/features/performance/112_0401_2004_hpa_volkswagen_r32/">http://www.motortrend.com/features/performance/112_0401_2004_hpa_volkswagen_r32/</a</li></ul>
Old 05-06-2006, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Anyone on the board come from an R32 or have opinions on the car?

the R32 is a great car, but i'd hesitate to say that it's a great alternative to the S4. i had a highly tuned 337 back in the day, and had many friends w/ R32s. some initial thoughts:

the good --
- decent awd system
- excellent tuning potential
- good seats (esp. w/ leather)
- all the best of the mkiv platform
- good brakes
- very track worthy, with a few mods

the not-so-good (relative to the S4) --
- interior is cheap, cheap, cheap
- vw service is beyond terrible
- used market ($) is over-valued
- stock suspension is only so-so
- safety is so-so

imho, if you can find a good one for under $25K with relatively low miles, it's worth a close look. anything more and it's less of a value and can't compete with the B6.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:11 PM

Default The engine in the stock R32 is pretty amazing but the HPA...wow

I agree though on the previous statement about the build quality and the safety. I would be using this as a replacement to the S4, which means I will have my son in the car as well. Not that the VW are not safe but I doubt they are up to the safety of the S4. My choices are this: 1. just keep the S4 and put on some coilover and bigger brakes and see how that changes the car or 2. sell the car and get into something a little smaller with a little more driver feel but less on the other parts (build quality and safety).
Maybe I answered my own question.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I have owned 3 vws and have had no more problems than wth my audi.

The audi is finished to a whole new level but reliability about the same. (had 3 Jettas - 1 was given to to a family member and is still running with over 300k miles on it). Also, I was surprised how similar the service was...I got much better service on my Acura than I ever have on my audi.

Also, just noticed you ride Colnago. I have a Bianchi Titanium and Fondriest. I need to get my base miles up quick...tis race season.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:31 PM

Default Agreed on the VW quality

I guess the level of material would be a better phrase for it. I think the R32 eninge is amazing and I think the lighter front end feel is super nice. I just need to get the suspension a little stiffer on the S as it just feels so heavy in the front. I came from the B5 with coilovers and the car just had a better feel. I attibute this lack of feel to the stock suspension and the big V8 but I am sure you can make the S4 handle better? Do you think coilovers would be the answer?
I take it you are not a proponent of selling the S and getting the R?
Yeah race season has been going on for some time here in Boulder. WIth the weather starting to get better the roads are flooded with roadies. Love the Bianchi's. How can you go wrong with a brand with that much history.
Old 05-07-2006, 02:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

There is a guy on the RS6 forum that has one...
Old 05-07-2006, 03:21 PM

Default i have owned one

i didnt have any problems with it and the handling and ride is amazing...the only think that i wish it had was power...but hpa or eip can take care of that
Old 05-07-2006, 07:00 PM

Default R32 was my last car before the S4

I really enjoyed driving it. It felt more nimble than its curb weight suggested it should be. I did very few mods on the car, only ECU flash and cold air intake, as well as the ubiquitous zip-tie exhaust mod (permanently opening the valve that hushes the exhaust below 3000 RPM for drive-by noise regs). I had initially planned to do the EIP turbo, as well as suspension and exhaust on the car but then it had 3 major electrical failures in a 9 month period, twice leaving me stranded on the side of the road. I don't know of too many other R32 owners who've had such problems with the car, but I had to 86 mine as I absolutely can't afford to have an unreliable car.

Overall I'd say that you'll be disappointed with the interior quality of the car after two S4's. It is superb for a Golf, but not up to Audi standards. The car comes with a can of fix-a-flat and an air compressor, so you have to spend about $400 to get a 17" TT donut which won't clear the front brakes, so if you get a puncture in the front you have to put a rear wheel up front &amp; the donut on the back... you see where I'm going with this? I really did enjoy driving the car, but as an overall ownership experience, it will pale in comparison to what you're used to, even given the sad state of Audi dealerships and their customer service.