S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

B6 S4 impressions after the Norcal Audi Drive around San Mateo

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B6 S4 impressions after the Norcal Audi Drive around San Mateo

Well, as always, I love the s4. It was great driving with so many other s4s, all b5s but various stages. Opec (Josh) with his RS6 was there as well, but he took off early.

During the first half of the drive, I was following Daryl (apparently Stage 3 maybe 3+), guy in a silver stage 3 (so I was told by Vishal), the RS6, a guy in a white b5 s4 avant, i'm sure it was stage 2 at least, then a imola avant and a santorin b5 right ahead of me. They all had suspension work, but the imola avant was on stock tires, and the santorin ahead of me was stock suspension wise.

Anyway, I was on the tail of the santorin which was tailing the imola, so after the half way point, I moved up to number 4 spot, and maintained and crept up on Vishal a couple of times, who did the same to the stage 3s. Torque when you needed it, constant. It was great.

Then we got into the very, I mean VERY twisty and narrow stretches...and the 3 guys ahead of me and a couple cars behind me could hear my tires SCREAM. The edges of my fronts are out, but boy do the conti's suck. The slightest curve and they'd holler. Oh well, kept the foot on the gas, and awd pulled through.

One of the final turns, I decided to really test the tires to the max (since we all had radios, and Daryl's mom was the traffic control/navigator, great job btw, and we knew there was no opposing traffic), so I went full throttle into a turn and really got loose. Drift to the max. It was as if ESP and AWD were ineffective.

It was pretty much us 4, daryl (stage 3+), silver stage 3, Vishal Stage 2 (great driver I must say, a lot of track experience too), and me. They all had wheels/tires and suspension work. We pretty much left everyone behind when we were really going at it.

So for being a stocker performance/handling wise, I must say our b6 s4 represented EXTREMELY WELL. Throw on a set of quality tires, and we're set.

Cheers to all that went, especially Daryl who organized the event!

Thanks.
Old 05-15-2004, 03:24 PM

Default Sounds like you had a lot of fun!

Well done for holding the side up ;-)
Old 05-15-2004, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Some Pics!

BTW, the guy on the bike mumbled "Audi's are junk" as he passed me.
We probably scared the $hit out of him or something.

Too lazy to link here, but if anyone cares to, my hotlink manager will allow it.<ul><li><a href="http://www.tripleplate.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=168053#post168053">Pics in my thread on TriplePlate.com</a></li></ul>
Old 05-15-2004, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Oh yes, it was great! BTW, the pics where we're on the cliff shows the order I was talking about.
Old 05-15-2004, 05:24 PM

Nice! For once you got to go fast without a ticket!
Old 05-15-2004, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Yes! That was the greatest thing about not leading! Once again, thanks to Daryl and his Mom for

always giving us radio updates on EVERY pedestrian, bike on the same and opposite sides, oncoming traffic in the crazy twisties (basically a one laner so we'd have to slow down considerably), etc etc etc.

In the end, you'd have to go on this drive or a similar to appreciate having FRS (2way) radios in each car. Also, I can't describe how AWESOME driving that HARD was in the twisties. I was unfamiliar with the road but since I was following others, it was easy to push it. I had to worry about my balding tires a bit, but it was amazing fun.

Oh, and the scenery!!!! My gf (navigator too :-D) was scared, screaming at times, making her hand sore by squeezing the door support handle, but she LOVED the lake view, the oceanviews, the trees, pastures, etc. It was amazing.

As you can tell, I'm still not over it....
Old 05-15-2004, 06:55 PM

Default That's the best thing about this car...it leaves you wanting more!

Glad it was a safe playtime.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nice...Bolinas Road! I used to live on that road and I drove my 300zx Turbo

up it and down the other side at least twice a week. I would always start to lose the brakes about two miles before the dam in you photo, and I'd stop and let them cool off right where you guys stopped. Ahh, memories.