S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

b6 s4 testdrive comparo ...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b6 s4 testdrive comparo ...

unfortunately, i will be getting rid of my STi in favor of a b6 s4; i have to do so because of an uncoming surgery and the sheer harshness of the STi ride. while this was not my first drive in an s4, it was the first time i was allowed to really drive the car hard.

one thing that was immediately apparent was the driving position, namely the arrangment of the pedals. the throttle immediately felt far to low in comparison to the brake pedal and i found it imposibble to heel-toe during the drive.

the pull of the s4 was much more linear than the sti. while it does not push you into the seats in the same way the sti does, it feels quick in a different way. while the sti certaintly has more potent rpm, the audi pulled with uniform force throughout the power band. though turbo lag is not much as issue in the sti - a result of the short gearing being appropriate for spirited driving - the engine provided immediate gratification, though the throttle felt less connected to driver inputs than in the sti.

i was surprised to find that the s4 did not exhibit its weight in corner as much as i thought it would. though the ride quality level is far superior to the sti, it remains surprising level and composed under hard cornerning.

i have always loved the interior of the s4 and this test drive really made me fall in love with the level of refinement in this car. the s4 is utterly quiet - too quiet for my taste; one cannot even hear the exhaust - whereas the sti is filled with a concerto of road noise. i have always been a performance first, comfort second type of enthusiast - and will miss the sti without any doubt - but this drive in the s4 has refined by viewpoint a bit; i realize the s4 really does a brilliant compromise (which i unfortunately have to accomodate at this time) with a good driver, i see the sti and s4 lapping quite similiar times around a track. so the sad news is ... you will all be hearing much more of me on this site, and now i might have to be much more of an audi conformist.

so like every new s4 owner: what exhaust should i get?? jk
Old 06-21-2006, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Did you already buy the B6 S4?

"cause mine is for sale, with a fullback resonated Milltek system, which is awesome! (and a bunch of other goodies). See link below
Old 06-21-2006, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default anyone else feel throttle connectivity is lacking? air filter address this?

I was accelerating repeatedly yesterday in 2nd and I noticed a split second delay, seemed a split second slower than I had ever noticed before, and I began to check over \and over agin
and my face became flushed as it always does when I become consumed with something like this, worrying me and enticing me, the insanity I couldnt stand it, I pulled over had to get soemthing sweet to alay all this confusion
Old 06-21-2006, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default i have not yet purchased the s4 ...

you car is beautiful, btw. the car i drove today was actually a moro blue as well, and i was really struck by the color after seeing it in person. unfortunately, your s4 is a bit outside of my price range; im taking quite a hit on my sti (about $10k for only 10months of driving!!), so i have to really try hard to keep the price down.

the car i looked at today was CPO 2004 6MT with premium package, premium sound and cold weather and 41k; they were asking 34,999 and i have an offer of 33,900.

have you moved at all on the price; i would not mind paying a bit more for the lower mileage, though the mods concern me - although i am enticed by the way - from a warranty standpoint.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I find the pedals are fine for "heel/toe". Once you are on the brakes, the brake pedal

is the same height as the gas. Then it's just a roll of the foot.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default perhaps im just more accustomed to a more traditional "even" pedals setup ...

but if it can be done, i wont have any issues. i always find it so odd driving manual cars other than my own; i really have found the perfect position in my sti, and it is likely just a matter of time until i find the same position in my new car.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default With a set of aftermarket pedals you can lift the accel pedal

Just add some spacers between the new pedal and the old. A 1/2" spacer works perfect for me.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

I dont know...I can do it, but it is not near as easy as every Porsche I have ever driven.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Re: I dont know...I've never driven a Porsche :)

Probably depends on the style of heel/toe. Which is why I put it in quotes. I roll my foot off the side and hit the gas. Seems to work for me. Although I am still getting used to the DBW compared to my B5, which was instant I pushed the pedal. The B6 has some space in the pedal before it does anything. So I find my self sometimes not pushing the gas enough. And maybe the rpm's climbed quicker on the 1.8T than they do on the V8....?
Old 06-21-2006, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

exactly, i was thinking the throttle needed to be lifted since i dont think the brake can be lowered

Quick Reply: b6 s4 testdrive comparo ...