S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Begining to believe "engine whine" is normal

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 07:33 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default IF the whine goes away when the temps are warmer, IT IS NOT NORMAL!

Actually, normal is defined as a characteristic that at least 50% have. But my 04 had the same whine that was only evident when temps got cold and disappeared after 3K rpms. I had the TSB done and although it changed the character of the whine, it was still there. Had the TSB done a second time and the whine was gone. I believe that some of the pulleys used to repair the whine were also defective. I would make the Audi service do the TSB again. OR just tell them to do whatever it takes to get rid of the whine. Do not accept that it is normal.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: IF the whine goes away when the temps are warmer, IT IS NOT NORMAL!

Since the car just fell off warranty I am paying to have the TSB done. When I just recently did it, it cost $300+ so before I do it again and spend that money I was thinking of this, what are your thoughts?

I was thinking....what if I remove the serpentine belt and take it for a stint around the block; if the whine is still there I could rule out the TSB involving the tensioner and idler pulleys as well as the possibility of the alternator bearings. What do you guys think about this? Has anyone tried this?

I also did a bit more investigation on the origin of some of the "OEM" replacement parts for Audi and I came across some interesting information.
There are many parts coming from overseas, namely China that are inferior in quality but some buyer at Audi head office thought it was a good way to save some money as these parts are much cheaper than the real deal from Germany. I've actually seen some companies register the name Germany along with their name to fraudulently represent it as a part made in Germany when the actual part in the box was stamped Made in China.
At the moment the only bearing manufacturer that has not gone to China is INA. Therefore when replacing parts containing bearings like the idler and tensioner pulleys look at the actual stamping on the bearing race, if you can find one stamped INA you can be guaranteed you're getting a quality part.

Hope this helps somebody out there.