S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Bentley manual version 11/03

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bentley manual version 11/03

Well I got my Bentley CD and will offer a few comments based on an initial 10 minute cruise through the install/contents.

The CD cover offers no clue as to the inclusion of the S4 platform whatever. I opened up the package only after examining the ISBN number carefully compared to the one on the Bentley web site describing coverage for our car. If you are looking around for a copy, the ISBN number is 0-8376-1077-X. It is indeed the case that the link shown the other day for Bimmer Zone is the correct version at $66 (not including shipping).

This is definitely the first draft of covering the 4.2L engine platform and it shows. I have only had a few moments to peruse a couple of the platform specific subsystems for our cars vs the rest of the B6 A4 series, but the coverage is spotty and not well described at this time. My first stop was the braking system and you almost have to do some guesswork to decide what represents information about A4s vs S4s. The larger brake rotor (323mm) was the first clue, but there are no descriptions in the tables as to what column belongs to which Audi model.

I will continue to peruse the contents for more detailed discussions of our platform and offer comments over the weekend as I become better acquainted with the docs and what it does or does not have to offer......
Old 03-19-2004, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Bentley manual version 11/03

Alan, I'm sure I am like many others in saying I REALLY appreciate your interest, time, and effort in passing your thoughts along to the rest of us.

Thanks, Bob
Old 03-19-2004, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Here's the link again

For the lazy

And no, I'm not affiliated with BimmerZone in any way.<ul><li><a href="http://www.bimmerzone.com/prodbentleyaeb6.htm">http://www.bimmerzone.com/prodbentleyaeb6.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 03-19-2004, 08:46 PM

Default Allow me to offer some further *&%$!!! comments.

The product contains 2 options during the installation process - minimal install or full install where the latter actually pulls in all of the data files so you can access them online. For the sake of doing an initial check, I did the first pass as a minimal install so I could see what was there.

In order to activeate the product, you are required to fill out a registration form the first time you bring it up and it will retrieve it's activation key when you hit the submit button.

After seeing that it indeed had docs on what I wanted to see, I tried doing a reinstall to get the full version on my disk. The install scripts complied just fine, but when I went to peruse the docs, the eBahn reader had no clue where the files were and failed to display any of the files past the initial index.

I checked the "Add/Remove software" control panel and the eBahn reader was not present, so I checked the \BentleyPubs install directory and found a program named remove_b6.exe which I ran so I could get a clean install.

After doing the clean install with the "full" option, I was prompted again to perform an online registration which I filled out and submitted. The submission was rejected with a note saying that this copy had already been registered and to contact the Support numbers in order to activate the product.

Product support is only open on weekdays during regular business hours East coast time, so I won't be able to use the program until next Monday.

I have already sent off a rather unhappy note to their "feedback" customer service expressing my levels of dissatisfaction over the product installation deficiencies......

Needless to say, beyond this note, there won't be much to offer in terms of insights into the level of documentation of our cars this weekend.