S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Binding type noise on a tight radius turns

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default ....

I understand what you are saying and i'm just trying to explain and help you in troubleshooting that an immediate flag for the word "binding" at low speed is the diff. An immediate flag for PS is going to be a moan or whine and if it gets really bad a tugging of the steering wheel (different than binding). The word "binding" without mention of a whine should point you in this direction. Sure, check everything it could be in case the driver isnt good at explaining the problem is good to do.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Listen, Mike...

Have you ever had PS go out on a car you were driving? To include the beginnings of a serious PS problem. If you don't think you're going to get a binding feeling in all that, then I don't know what to tell you.

I think we both may be over analyzing this in order to support each argument, but I do know that those many items I listed above, in addition to any possible steering problem, are common enough in what he's describing.

Any perceived binding from the AWD would be so subtle that he shouldn't suddenly notice it as a problem while pulling what can't be his first u-turn.

If someone drives a new Audi off the lot and complains of a different feel or "binding" at low speeds, which I still have never experienced by the way, then that would be different.

It sounds like the man above, owning a B6 and all, is experiencing this as a "new" problem in his car, not an inherent condition.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks Dave...

This is standard protocol for diagnostics on these cars.

Read his post anyways. He stated "I just bought a 2004 S4" so he can't know of an "inherent condition" if he just bought it can he?

Again, i'm not saying it cant be the PS but obviously no mention of a whining or groaning is odd in that diagosis. And in a PS fluid situation in which the person discusses low speed tight turns you would expect the person to state "tugging" of the wheel and moaning rather than binding.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Is this your first Quattro car ? the "binding" feeling has been on all 4 of mine.

If we are talking about low speed stuff.
The B6s4 seems more pronounced than my others.
Probably all that torque.
I just back off the throttle if I feel it (rare), like when entering a parking lot at low speeds with tight turns.
Sometimes I think it's the ABS\ESP whatever kicking in but by the time I look down for a light, it's over.
I think my driving style has adapted to avoid accelerating hard at full lock so I hardly ever feel it.

The low power steering noise is very different than what I am talking about here.
I think it's normal for this technology.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:23 AM

Default Re: Thanks Dave...

I appreciate all the suggestions but my problem is very similar to the binding characterisic you experience in a 4WD vehicle upon making tight turns. It produces a growling grinding type noise only in the tightest type of turn so it leads me to believe that it is related to the front drive system due to the friction that is created. I will definitely check the PW steering fluid but I'm pretty sure that is not my problem. I only have 40k miles on it so I think I will have the dealer look at it while it is still under warranty. Would anyone suggest an extended warranty on this vehicle?
Old 01-13-2007, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

so it only occurs when you turn the wheel 100%? Then it's probably the turn stops, no?
Old 01-13-2007, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yup, normal and related to the AWD differentials. No worries. Yes, i'd get any warranty I could.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:05 AM

Default True...

but it's also a used car, so there could be any number of things causing it.

I don't reject the AWD binding idea out of hand, but wonder about simply stating that as fact and not to worry. I think that it's possibly overdiagnosed to explain away any suspension/steeering issue. Maybe I'm wrong.

First thing I would check is the PS fluid, get that out of the way.

Agree with what you're saying here though.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:07 AM

Ahh, this takes us back to the PS ^^^ ... Oh well.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default mine, on the other hand, has more of a tensioning sound...

when I turn at low speeds. I think it occurs even when I give the wheel 1/2 of a turn, let alone turning the wheel all the way. Is that PS fluid? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Binding type noise on a tight radius turns