S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Binding type noise on a tight radius turns

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you're talking about doing this...

while parked, turning the wheels back and forth, even a light amount, then yes that sound is normal. It's the PS pump you're hearing.

However, if you are hearing that while driving even at low speeds, then no, not normal...and it's time to check your fluid level, at least to be able to rule that out. There has been such a high number of PS fluid related issues that it really shouldn't be minimized or ignored.

Again, the info:

Old PS fluid level check method(now incorrect):

When cold, at min mark
When warm, between min and max

Per TSB fluid level check methos(correct):

When cold, at max level
When warm, approx 10mm past max

Audi was filling the PS fluid under the old method from the factory, hence so many owners showing low fluid level and related problems. So get it up to max cold and you should be okay.

Audi states per this TSB that if the PS fluid level is allowed to fall below minimum, air will enter the system and cause problems. Their remedey is fairly simple - add fluid to proper level and run for a short time to work air out.

As far as the "binding" issue, or any binding in steering/suspension, I'm sorry, but I'm just not willing to accept hands down that it's AWD related and normal. It may very well be in some cases, but to just assume that and take no action is not wise, IMO.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Many thanks Dave

This makes sense because I did not have the problem until the cold weather set in. It sounds like the fluid level was OK for the warm weather but is now insufficient given that it's winter. I will look into this. Thanks again.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:41 PM

Default It's worth a try...

That's all I'm saying. First thing to check is the PS fluid level, as it's so obvious and also a known issue on these cars. Hopefully that's what it is in your case, good luck.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

My 05 S4 has it also at full turn. I attribute it to the diffs. and consider it normal
Old 01-13-2007, 07:31 PM

Default My 05 S4 doesn't. I consider that normal...

However, I'm going to look into this more, as now my curiosity has been peaked.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:40 PM

Default Found very little...

on the Quattro binding condition thru a multi search...only one discussion thread which mirrors what's being said here. Funny, found more "binding" complaints on VW AWD cars, which shouldn't even be an issue, as they use a viscous coupling system.

Mike, if you're reading this, do you have any technical links to the AWD binding in Audi's? I'd like to see anything on it as it pertains to the car I own. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default This is more of just a known common issue to the AWD systems...

I doubt there is more than simple TSBs about it letting the customer know it is normal because it really isnt a technical issue but something any mechanic would just reassure and know is normal. For example if you contact your dealership monday and let them know it is your first time with a quattro and you have binding at low speed sharp turns they will just explain that is due to the AWD system. You could probably just google AWD and binding or check out that site "how stuff works". You likely dont see alot on the search because it is usually recognized as normal. Keep in mind each car will do this more or less depending on individual tolerances. The point is not to base it on your own personal experiences as some will not even notice it. Same with gear chatter, some will never hear a peep.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:41 PM

Default Here's what I did...

I googled it under "Audi Quattro binding during turn" and "Audi AWD binding".

I understand how something of this nature would never make it to a TSB, but there should be some official tech info on it somewhere. Until I see something official, I'm not buying into the theory...even though I can entertain the idea of binding where a transfer case is used, as in the Audi Quattro(Torsen).

As far as relying on an Audi tech's explain, that's hardly adequate, as we know how they will throw out double talk right and left if they think you don't know any better. Then there are the tuning houses which will say "oh, that's just the Quattro AWD binding, here's a $3000 suspension upgrade that'll take care of that for ya."

This may sound cynical, and I don't want to appear like an a-hole, but I think you get the idea. Anyway, it's a discussion to get at the truth and maybe actually help someone with a problem on their car in the process, wouldn't you agree?

Honestly Mike, unless the condition is actually acknowledged as fact or if every Audi suffered from it, I will still consider other possible sources for this condition first...the known ones...(mentioned above in another post).
Old 01-13-2007, 09:07 PM

Default You know, Mike...

the author of this thread is talking about a full turn of the steering wheel(he posted again in a thread below). Now, to me, that's got to be the PS grinding at full stop, which will include a vibration and binding sensation.

I think before we go round and round on this anymore we need to nail him down on what he's talking about. A normal turn at low speeds? Or cranking the steering wheel to full stop during a turn, which I don't know why anyone would want to do in the first place. It's not good for the PS system.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It is acknowledged as a fact Dave. It's common knowledge.

Quick Reply: Binding type noise on a tight radius turns