S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Bluetooth (very very long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bluetooth (very very long)

I've not seen anyone post anything about their experience with the bluetooth interface. Well here is mine. I have a Sprint (CMDA) Treo 650 that integrates nicely with the car. Once I get in I hear a tone that tells me the car is linked with my phone and the dash display says BT available. I had to get the Treo 650 update (V1.12) to get my phone to link which was a painful upgrade, but I am glad it worked since you have to basically start over with the phone with a hard reset and hope your desktop saved all your information.

The Nav screen does not show all your phone numbers/address like some phones (Motorolla/Erickson/Sony). However, your favorites/speed dial numbers do show up on the dash screen. I think it has something to do with the sheer volume of information the Treo is capable of storing. Much like the Media card reader is only capable of displaying 400 MP3s and the rest will not show up. The favorites/speed dial can store up to 70 numbers so you can get most of your frequently used numbers to display.

The button on the left side of the steering wheel selects the function. Push the button once and the dash screen displays your phone list and the scroll wheel selects which number. It sort of sucks to have to scroll to the middle and roll the wheel 35 selections, but it's still better than staring at your phone while driving. Especially the Treo and using the stylus. Next press the scroll wheel and it auto dials the number. To end the call press the scroll wheel again.

You can also use the voice recognition capability. Again Audi does not support the full functionality of the Treo (despite they claim to in their literature). With the other phones you can scroll thru the address/number list on the nav screen and assign voice recognition to each number. This allows you to simply hit the right side steering wheel button and say "dial home" and the car dials the number you assigned to home. The Treo however cannot do this.

Instead you can program numbers thru the voice recognition menu, but you have to program each number to the name. It's tedious. For example, you want to program "home." Hit the button and say "store name" then she prompts you (yes it's a she and only mildly attractive) to enter the name. You say "Home." She repeats the name and you confirm with a "yes." Usually she wants you to say it twice to make sure it's correct. Then she will prompt you for the number and you say "123 456 7890." She will confirm the number for you and you have to say "store number or yes." She confirms the entry. You have to do this for every number you want entered in the voice recognition menu.

To make it worse you cannot say "dial home." after you've programmed the number. Instead you have to say "select name." She will ask you who and you reply "home." Now if you're familiar with the system you can immediately say "dial" and she will dial it for you. Otherwise she will ask you what you want to do next and give you 3 or 4 choices. It works, but as you can tell it's easier to find the number with the on screen list via the dash board screen.

Now the really nice thing is do dial via voice number recognition. This is where the newest software really shines over the new A6 or A8. You can say "dial number" and quickly rattle off all the numbers and end with "dial." For example "dial number (slight pause) 123 456 7890 dial" and it will immediately dial the number with fairly good accuracy once you figure out how to say the numbers so she understands. This is listed in the 100 page instruction manual under the chapter "how to say words so Ms. Audi understands." If you're not so sure if she got the numbers after saying the numbers she will repeat them and you can then say "dial" to confirm the number.

It is really slick how it remembers numbers in 3 or 4 number sequences. If you say "dial 123 4567" and when she repeats the number back as "123 4560" you can say "correct" and only have to repeat the "4567" not the whole number since it remembers the 3 number and the 4 number sequence separately. Very cool.

Inside the arm rest is the phone storage area. Note that those who ordered the bluetooth get a different arm rest with the ability to lock the arm rest in any position by holding the button and where you let go it locks. Those of you who had a C5 A6 know what I am talking about. The regular arm rest only locks in position after going all the way down and where you stop on the way up it stays. Nothing huge, but I like the locking button better.

We are supposed to be able to get a phone holder inside the arm rest to both charge and link the phone to the car (as I understand a hard wire link not bluetooth?). It also uses the antennae in the shark fin which gives a 10db signal boost (very nice). I just tried to order mine and as you might expect 2006 parts are not available yet. I will keep you up to date once I get it.

One last thing I will post the Audi official 2006 phone support list, but it's a PDA file and I have no place to post it. If anyone needs it email me and I will send you a copy.

Hope this helps

ROA

2006 S4 Sprint Blue 6MT all options
H&R sport springs and 35% Tint
Old 09-17-2005, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May be upgrading to Treo 650 this week. Thanks for the info!
Old 09-17-2005, 10:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default sounds cool. stupid question....

...this all works w/o a Bluetooth headset, correct? Does the stereo automatically reduce volume when you have an incoming call? Sorry, I haven't kept up with wireless technology at all, but this sounds like something I could use. Unfortunately I got a pre-Bluetooth '06.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yes and it even...

Turns down the fan speed, mutes the radio, and the Nav voice is quieter too. No need for a headset.

ROA
Old 09-18-2005, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default What phones are fully supported?

I also have Sprint and have an S4 with bluetooth on order. My cell phone is old, so I plan to get an updated model when the car arrives (in about 3 months).

I was also thinking about getting the Palm Treo 650, but I already have a non-phone PDA. What phones are fully supported with the S4 bluetooth phone system?
Old 09-18-2005, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default check your email

I just sent you the PDA file with full compatibility listings.

If anyone can host the file on a server to post it on here let me know.

ROA
Old 09-19-2005, 09:28 AM

Default Motorola Razr

I have the Razr and paired the phone with no issues at all. I receive and dial calls just fine. However, my phone book does not display on the nav screen. I can scroll through my phone book using the scroll on the steering wheel and view the number on the in dash screen but not on the nav screen. Does this sound correct or am i missing something??
Old 09-19-2005, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Treo obtained. Couple clicks, connected, look like I'm talking to myself. Cool.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Photo illustration to go with your post...

I posted this on the A4 B7 board a while back.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4b7/msgs/13564.phtml">Pictures</a></li></ul>
Old 09-30-2005, 05:41 PM

Default Re: May be upgrading to Treo 650 this week. Thanks for the info!

Is this with Verizon? I have heard despite the press the Treo 650 and the A8 do not work together