S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Bose tweeters suck?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bose tweeters suck?

Overall I am fairly surprised at how good the stock Bose sounds in my S4, but even when I turn the treble all the way up, I can barely hear the highs. It doesn't matter if its XM, CD or FM radio. Anybody else have this problem?
Old 07-28-2004, 11:12 AM
SCJ
AudiWorld Member

Default Tone control is all a matter of the ear...

I have had Bose in my last 4 Audis and I have never used the tone controls. I have always been a sound purest.

The original Bose was tuned exactly for your car. It had no tone controls and very little balance and fader control. It still is tuned for a car, but they had to go to conventional controls to keep everyone happy.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Among audiophiles, Bose is synonymous with crap.

They do a fair job considering the materials (garbage) they use. Bose is fine for most listeners but in reality the Bose systems in cars are no better than the premium sound systems in any car made. Certainly not up to the level of sophistication and quality as the Lexus Mark Levinson stuff. And if you have heard that system or a good aftermarket system with good components and lots of clean power, you will be dissatisfied with the Bose. Again, it's fine for most. But not if you've heard or know better.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Among audiophiles, Bose is synonymous with crap.

Have to agree with you. This S4 is better, but my A6 4.2 system was f**ing awful.. Have way too much $$ invested in good quality audio for my home to be told this sounds good. The highs are artificial and brite and the low end sounds like someone threw a wet towel over a bass drum. Just my 2 cents
Old 07-28-2004, 11:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Yes, they're garbage.

"Premium" sound my a@@. It's unfortunate. The sound is metallic, thin, and sloppy. The bass is poorly controlled and the sub just adds visceral feel without accuracy.
Of course the car is not the ideal listening environment and issues of a car's acoustics will usually never be great, but no doubt one could do much better with an aftermarket upgrade.

As mentioned before, Bose and audiophile are never used in the same sentence except for bashing.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default if you tune bose properly....

it can sound as good as many other systems. The only thing is the EQ's they use do so many stupid things to the sound that sometimes your stuck. I have a bose system in my room at home since i didnt want to use up much space, and its good for what it is, but i would still rather go down to my basement and listen to music on the Genelecs which will provide 10 times the sound quality that any "consumer" or "prosumer" system will offer. I think to discount Bose as crap is the sign of someone who isnt a true Audiophile. True audiophiles will give bose credit for the technology they imply. Who has ever heard that much sound come out of little Jewel Cube speakers? And there bass technology is light years above anyone else. But like you said they use crappy materials which is what makes them not sound as pure as it should. Well that and over engineering that their software forces on the music.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No highs, no lows? Must be Bose.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It is a matter of opinion as to the quality of Bose.........

I personally like Bose systems. I have the lifestyle 35 system in the house, the companion system on the computer, both pairs of quiet comfort headsets, and the outdoor speakers and love them all. As for the system in the S4.........It is certainly lacking from a bass perspective and it certainly does not have near the quality of an aftermarket system. I am happy enough with it that I will not make any changes.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Among audiophiles, Bose is synonymous with crap.

Bose blows.

I have a Pathfinder that came with the Bose system, and I promptly tore it out and replaced it Diamond Audio HEX components in custom kickpanel enclosures, Focal Utopia mids in the doors, JL Audio 10" subs (x2), Phoenix Gold amps and processor, and Alpine 7949 head unit/S624 6-disc changer. It sounds 10 times better than any stock system, be it Bose or Mark Levinson. A friend of mine has a SC430 and I've listened to her Levinson system, and it does not compare to what can be accomplished with aftermarket mobile audio gear.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you go to any of the Stereophile/Audiophile forums...

search their forums for Bose... The general consensus is.... it's crap. That statement is the sign of a person who's heard much much better, even at the Bose price point. I can give Bose cedit for doing what they've done...captured fantastic market share and made themselves a household name even while using cheap materials. I can give Bose credit for nothing else. Bose "implies" the use of new technology, I agree. But the implication is valueless.

Sound quality is subjective, and based on many things. How educated you are as to how good a system can sound has a lot to do with it.

Quick Reply: Bose tweeters suck?