S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Can you believe a ****ing pine cone fell on the hood of my week old black S4.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where can I get a carbon Fiber hood?
Old 12-20-2004, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Since black is easier to match...

do you think HyerPower could have the area (which I'm assuming is only a couple of inches around) blended in? I did this with my Northern Blue a couple of weeks ago - but it was on the underside of my front bumper so it's not noticable. I've always been a big believer in retaining as much original paint as possible, and blending if you can. May sound like a dumb question, but is Brilliant Black clearcoated? If so, they could even clearcoat the hood, and leave 98% of the paint itself intact. Find a high end shop that works on Porsches, Audis, BMWs, MBs etc.

Good luck - it sucks - I know how you feel.

Phil
Old 12-20-2004, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default is it dented or just chips - you can use black touch up paint to

try to hide the chips. if it is dented you could try paintless dent removal - I would save repaint for last resort. at least black is easy to color match.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default All Audi paints have a clear coat....

I don't think blending would be much cheaper and it might not work. Personally, if the chips are minor, I'd try black touch up to fill them in then go over it with a mildly abrasive polish, then finish with the usual routine for removing swirl marks. If that didn't work to my satisfaction, I'd have the entire hood shot with a fresh coat of paint. If the painter knows what they are doing and they have the facilities to keep the hood clean, they can sand through the clear coat and paint over the existing black and do another clear coat. This would essentially add another layer of paint protection on top of what's there. There would be no need to sand the underside and the edges. The new paint could be blended on the edges.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:43 PM

Get a chainsaw and cut down the tree.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You may be right ...

when I repainted the underside of my bumper, I was really concerned about a PERFECT paint match - which is why I had the paint blended. The visible part of the front bumper remains unblemished. With black, it's probably easier to just redo the paint and clearcoat.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 1) cut down tree and use for fire wood 2) see enclosed link

hope this helps<ul><li><a href="http://www.carcareonline.com/viewarticle.aspx?art=8">car care online</a></li></ul>
Old 12-20-2004, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Wow, pretty impressive if you have the patience. I don't know if I trust myself with this task.....

eventhough it sounds great.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah, sorry about that... Probably check with a detail shop...

There's some filler or buffing compound they use. I had a small rock smack into my pass side mirror and make a pretty good 5 inch gash from the front to the top. They did/used something on it and you couldn't tell the difference.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:18 PM
Rest In Peace

Default Could've been worse

When I was a kid Dad picked up his brand new Buick Riviera (430 CID, 360 HP) on a Thursday. Friday drove to visit relatives for the weekend. When pulling into the garage at home on Sunday evening, he started lowering the garage door (these were heavy solid hardwood doors). Partway down - BLAM - the cable on one side of the door snapped, and the spring came crashing back and popped off its roof mounting. Naturally, this big heavy steel spring comes crashing down against the side of the car, putting a nice dent in the C-pillar and rear fender and scratching the paint to the base metal. I heard him "utter" a "few" four-letter words when this happened!

Quick Reply: Can you believe a ****ing pine cone fell on the hood of my week old black S4.....