S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Carbo Tech brake pads.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbo Tech brake pads.....

Wes and any other users....

If I planned on doing 2-3 track events this summer, would the Carbo Tech Street pads work fine ?
I'd probably get some Frozen/Slotted rotors and SS lines as well.

Just don't want the stock brakes to fade too badly at the track.

what are your thoughts ?

How about thoughts of others that have tracked the car with stock brake set up ?

Thanks,
kj
Old 02-12-2005, 10:54 PM

Default Re: Carbo Tech brake pads.....

I had a chance to Track my car on stock rotors/pads. It did quite well; however, after spending 1/2 the day on the Track, the pedal got rather "mushy" thereafter. I let it cool down and it performed well again.

Having said this, I would not hesitate getting what you're thinking of for your set up.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:00 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I have the xp8s for my next event. I'd suggest getting those for a track event.

Not sure if you've tracked before Kurt, but the panthers (is that what they're called?) are better for street as they provide a bit more performance but xp8s are really the way to go for the beginner track events. If you're really pushing it, you can go up to the xp9s, etc.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default IMHO, stock Bobcats will be fine

I tracked mine on the OEM pads and had no problems and I've done it on the XP-8s. The XP-8s are of course nice and provide really good bite at high temperatures.

It can depend on the tack you are at. If you have at lot of turns that you enter at high speeds, the higher temperature pads will be better at handling the heat. Just make sure your brake fluid has been replaced recently (<6 months).

How many times have you been to the track? If it's only been 0, or once the stock pads should be fine as long as you have at least 1/2 the pad thickness remaing. 2/3 would be better. If you've been once or twice the Bobcats will work fine. If you go often you'll want higher temp pads because you will be pushing the car harder.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Stock brakes are quite capable

I did 5 events last year (a total of 9 days on track) on the stock pads & rotors, and I never felt the brakes were letting me down. After a couple of events, I flushed out the stock brake fluid and put in ATE Super Blue (since that's what the shop had handy) and it was good for the rest of the season.

I'd say if you're just starting out, you could probably just get by with better fluid.

That said, now that I've got 34,000 miles on the stock brakes, I just got a set of frozen/slotted rotors, and I'll be ordering a set of the xp8 pads.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Unfortunately I had the opposite experience, by the 5th track day my rotors were warped...

And I experienced brake fade too. And yes, I made sure to do a cool off lap as well as eventually modded my driving to minimize brake usage to give the brakes more time per lap to cool off (basically driving slower).

I think it really depends on the track but Thunderhill and Laguna were brutal on my brakes where as Buttonwillow didn't seem like a big deal. Most people I spoke to at Thunderhill said you really need track pads for that track.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default xp8s here.

looking forward to trying them out this year. first time out? stay stock. learn why you need something different.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ok....

So Bobcats are the way to go for my everyday street pads.
these should be even better than the stock pads, no?

Now, if I was only going to track the car 3 times a year, could I do it comfortable with just the Bobcats, SS lines, Fluid and Frozen/Slotted rotors ?

Or should I get some Xp8's and use those on the track days ?

How easy/hard is it to change brake pads?
( I don't do any service to my cars, never had....)

Also, yes, it'll be my first track event in a car, but I track Karts, so I think I'll be a bit more advanced than the true beginner.

kj
Old 02-13-2005, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Bobcats will be better than the OEM pads

Stay with the OEM or Bobcats for your first track day.

It's pretty easy to change the front pads. Expect an hour and a half to change them your first time probably 45 minutes to an hour your second time doing it. AlanL posted a very good FAQ in the tech section.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Ok....

Not trying to knock your experience as a driver... but you have no experience in the B6 S4 on the track. I don't believe you can truly appreciate the performance capability of any mod (even brake pads) until you've had a go with the OEM stuff. Same applies for suspension, engine mods, brakes, etc.

This is something I've picked up from the track junkies in the Chicagoland chapter. This philosophy makes a lot of sense, imo.

Quick Reply: Carbo Tech brake pads.....