S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

clutch....again.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch....again.....

i am really getting paranoid about this car. It seems like my clutch is slipping a bit in first and sometimes in second gears. When i gas it, i feel like the engine might be overpowering the clutch. (only happens in 1st and 2nd). And when i try the low rpm trick (to see if youre clutch is slipping) i cant tell whether or not it is. (i was told that if you put the car in 5th gear at like 35 mph and gas it, you will see if it is slipping). When i do that, sometimes it feels fine, sometimes it feels a little jerky, like it could be slipping. Now i havent yet gotten the throttle re-adapt, so maybe i should wait before i pass judgement, but i am worried. Anyone have any similar issues? ideas on what to do?

I generally drive the car very gently, so i dunno what it could be. The highest i have ever launched it at was 2300 rpm, and that was one time, and i slipped the clutch (didnt drop, didnt do a long glazing slip, just a good short engagement).
Old 04-24-2004, 11:34 AM

Default i'd drive around hard for awhile and see what happens...

do a few quick starts. if it breaks, take it to the dealer and get a new one. As long as you don't abuse it radically, you normally get one clutch replacement.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:56 AM
Elder Member

Default Ok...that's normal. Try this:

See, the torque on this car can really get ahead of the clutch take up if your not careful. I definitely had this problem when I first got the car.

Basically, you need to feather the clutch out while never really letting the rpms get above 1K. once you have mastered this technique, you can then apply more gas and release more clutch and really get the hang of a quick engagement and quicker launch. Dropping the clutch should have little affect on the slipping. (Believe me, I know...)

Basically, if you feather the clutch while giving it gobs of gas, then yes, the disc will spin and you will slip the clutch. And yes, it will affect the 1st to 2nd gear shift as well. Best thing to do now is to drive normally for the next gas tank. I know, it's gonna be hard, but this gives your friction disc a chance to reset itself. You'll notice that the grabbiness of the clutch will come back, and it will slip less on the 1st to 2nd.

Once you feel the grip is back, then start working on your launch. It takes a while to get it just right, but once learned, it's golden. ;-)