S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Creaks/rattles: Four down, two to go...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creaks/rattles: Four down, two to go...

So like any car my '04/B6S4/6MT/Dolphin has had its share of creaks and rattles. I've managed to fix four, but the last two are DRIVING ME NUTS.

FIXED:
-----
- Creaking around doors: Easy enough. Just lubed the seals and door frame with a light film of synthetic grease.

- Creaking/rattle from sunroof: Also easy - more lube on rubber seal.

- Another major creak from (all) doors: It turned out that the plastic door panel rubs against the door itself at the bottom. Have yerself a look and press against the panel -- it may creak good and loud against the metal. More lube, problem solved.

- Rattle from both front seats: Depending on the seat position, the seatbelt latch housing will rattle against the center console. A little felt tape and BAM! no more rattle.

DRIVING ME INSANE:
-----------------

- Rattle RIGHT IN MY FREAKIN EAR from the B-pillar or rear passenger door. Afraid to poke around because of the side-curtain airbags. Will probably need to get the girlfriend to drive around while I sit in the backseat and have a listen, anyway. Might have to bust out the stethoscope too. Anyone else heard this rattle?

- Intermittent and REALLY loud ticking sound from the center console, but only when someone's sitting shotgun: I *think* it's coming from the center console, but again I might need someone to drive + someone to sit shotgun, while I sit in the back and track it down.

=====================

I prefer fixing these myself as opposed to going to the dealer. But even if I do give up, I'd like to diagnose the problems a little better before doing the whole "couldn't reproduce it-but it happens whenever I'm driving-sorry we still can't reproduce it" waltz.

Any help or experience appreciated. And no, turning the radio up is not an option because then I can't hear the exhaust note.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:11 PM

Default This car has more rattles,

creaks and odd noises than any other I have owned, including Chevys and Plymouths. It's an embarassment.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Should not have any for this kind of cashola. Last Acura had none
Old 02-25-2005, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I dunno...

Kinda average for me.

Nearly every car I've owned I've taken apart the interior to fix rattles/squeaks/creaks.

This S4 isn't bad, but I seem much less tolerant of annoying noises. Plus I'm much more cautious about taking apart the interior. I didn't really care about the broken clips and such in my P.O.S. Explorer from years and years ago. And I was a little more careful in my B5A4, but still took it apart.
But this one...I daren't start prying panels apart...

BEST VEHICLE EVER for rattles/squeaks: My old-*** Ford Ranger I drove in college. Why? Because I didn't give a ****!
Old 02-25-2005, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The B-pillar rattle: is it more of a "cracking" sound than a squeak?

I have it on both B and C-pillars and it drives me nuts too. I've narrowed it down to the trim pieces (the fabric-covered ones) moving relative to the metal behind them. I had a similar noise in my Accord a few years ago and it turned out the trim was held in place by industrial strength Velcro. So industrial strength, in fact, that it pulled its own adhesive backing off the metal and proceeded to re-stick and un-stick itself over bumps. The noise was from the un-sticking. I put more Velcro between the trim and the metal and the noise went away. One of these days I will pull panel off and see how it's secured.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Center console creaks/rattles

Right underneath the emergency brake handle there is a plastic piece that fits in there. My seat seems to rub against that causing it to make a crunching/rattling noise. Anyone solve that? I am about to take the piece off and grease it. I am guessing it just pops out.

I used some vaseline to grease the catch for the right rear seat and the high pitched squeking I had there went away.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

sorry, but mine is as tight as a drum...love it that way.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:31 PM
Elder Member

i have it too. nice if someone posted a fix
Old 02-25-2005, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Go for a spin in a 911

I suspect the suspension in these types of cars causes pieces to loosen up and rattle more than anything else.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My buddy/co-worker has an Acura TSX that makes the same basic commute that I do.

It makes <i>different</i> noises over bumps, but it is not any better than my car. Bottom line: rough roads + performance car = some rattles.

Quick Reply: Creaks/rattles: Four down, two to go...