S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

DBW- ARGH!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DBW- ARGH!

I am the worlds worst manual transmission driver in my S4. 12k miles and I still drive it like day 1.

Oh I can heal toe, and I can double clutch, and I can rev match. But it hardly ever gets done right.. and the worst is in traffic. I feather the clutch, rev it a little bit... and the DBW screws with things and the car bucks around. I swear.. you have to WRESTLE with this thing in taffic to get it to be smooth.. doing terrible things with the pedal to get the revs to match between gears.

This is just a complaint, but damn it annoys me.

My favorite is when I go to take off from a stop with the wheel cranked and it gets into "OH! YOU WANNA TAKE OFF REAL FAST HUNH?!???!!?" mode, the revs climb way too high and my clutch is already coming out.. I'm lifting off the gas pedal while doing so, but it doesn't care.. and the thing lurches forward.. I of course didn't want to take off that hard so I lift on the throttle even more.. whoops now there's no throttle *DIVES* I feather the gas again and make some fancy pedal work to dance the car like a bucking bronco so that it can take off with something approaching finesse... all the while thinking "Damnit, work with me here!!"

Am I the only one who has a binary gas pedal? Just light cruising at lower speeds.. I swear I have no part throttle. I have OFF... and THROTTLE.. and the car seems to verrrrrry abruptly change between the two. So I'll be cruising along in 1st gear at 10mph.. and I'll ease off the throttle with a micro precision.. and the car will be cruising and suddenly it's WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO with my eyes coming out of their sockets with deceleration.. I counter this with a micro millimeter of throttle and the car suddenly starts accelerating again. It's like there is either deceleration, or acceleration .. and cruising is verrrry hard to find.

Maybe I need to do a pedal recalibration?

Argh.. just.. so.. frustrating.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Um, 2nd.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

join the club.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default LOL .. that was fast. I just feel so unconfident especially with passengers who point and laugh.

Luckily... everyone who's laughed, I've thrown behind the wheel and had my turn laughing as they stall it out 3 times in a row just backing out of the parking space. Everyone skeptical as yet has ended up looking worse than me when I let them have a try at it.

In some ways I appreciate it, it's not an easy car to drive. It's not defective.. it's advaaaaaaanced. It's got charactor, and it feels like lots of raw power. But at the same time .. I want finesse. Smooth precision.

Any ideas if Audi is going to some day release a recode that will help this? Surely they must get a lot of complaints. Or if not.. maybe we need to start a collection.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Unless you take your time, i.e. stop fully at a stop, w/o doubling into 1st, etc..

you cannot be very smooth with this car.

If you <i>do</i> take your time, you can be great.

So, if the need to impress arises, you have to play it as if you're an extremely "coooool" driver, and take your time. Then do the complete opposite to show what a savage beast it is.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It will probably go the way of the B5 control arm issue..

they know about it, but don't want to admit it.

One thing I found that corrected a lot of my DBW issues was REVO programming, a mod that not a lot of people are comfortable with due to warranty concerns...

But, if interested check out the REVO programming, you'll swear you are driving a different car..
Old 11-03-2005, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

At this point I would take a chip JUST for DBW. Extra HP is icing. DBW is the cake.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That was exactly my train of thought when I did it....

the hp was not the reason why I did it, just an added benefit.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default NOTE...

If you drive civilly, the REVO helps with DBW because you have throttle open and close more rapidly etc.

However, If you're in between civil and savage mode, it's going to surprise you even more than stock.

Being modded (2+) right now, when it surprises you, especially on cold morning starts where the car is a whole different beast on its own...it SURPRISES you. My head hits the headrest sometimes, because of how hard it launches forwards etc, unexpectedly on 1/4 throttle, etc. This has to do with the cold s4 being more powerful, and now how throttle opens up more quickly when the DBW program decides to open throttle.

Once again, revo only make the throttle open and close faster, but that doesn't change the time it takes for the DBW to figure out "open throttle, close throttle". Get what I mean? If you're on the throttle ever so slightly, going to WOT will be quicker, and releasing off to close will be faster once it begins...but it does NOT fix the DBW issue, where there is communication between the progam and the mechanical components.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nothing is going to fix the issue..

but it's a good placebo in my book... ;-)

Quick Reply: DBW- ARGH!