S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

DBW- ARGH!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A chip and Throttle Body Adapt can help those issues....

they will never go away, but they won't be as annoying.

Start with a Throttle Body Adapt and see if it helps with your throttle issues.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:03 PM
Elder Member

Default i had the "hanging revs" on my 6MT, but never felt anything....

... like you guys are describing. the hanging revs (won't let go of revs for about 1 seconds after climbing and then letting off) were quite perturbing at first, but after i knew to expect them, i just dealt with it and after awhile, didn't really notice.

but what you are describing kinda scares me about the RS4, if it persists. i remember a long ways back, someone did a very extensive write-up on DBW and particularly hanging revs. might have to revisit that. anyone know off hand who wrote that thread? i'll search and post if i find.

TIA
Old 11-03-2005, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default One data point is the clutch switch with yanking timing. The more you fiddle with the clutch off of

"home" position .. the more it yanks timing.

When you're done with the clutch, it gives all the timing advance back.. suddenly. I think this contributes to the jarring sensation. And probably one of the reasons why the chip is able to help.

With the clutch in.. you get snappier throttle response, but less hp.

If I could build a circuit that would ignore the clutch position, tell the ECU that the clutch is always in, cycling briefly every 2 seconds, and then coming back out the moment 50% throttle is exceeded.. I think this car would really act better.

You'd get snappy response, no transition when cycling the clutch.. full power when you got on it.. but of course cruise control would cease functioning unless you disabled this circuit when you needed it. *sigh*
Old 11-03-2005, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chip that bad boy. It will solve all your problems.. got mine done this week at APR
Old 11-03-2005, 02:29 PM
Elder Member

Default found it! pretty good research effort by AvramD...

... think he ended up with a buyback ( https://forums.audiworld.com/s4b6/msgs/66242.phtml ).<ul><li><a href="http://est.org/S4b6throttle/index.html">&gt;&gt; B6 Throttle Issues Research</a></li></ul>
Old 11-03-2005, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I highly doubt it's timing being F'd with for what we're complaining about..dbw maps for comfort imo

at least that's what we feel when the throttle acts with its "own mind."

You may be right about the timing, I don't know...but I think it's Audi's "manner" of trying to make the car luxurious, etc where they screwed up with the dbw maps.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:17 PM

Default It's both.

Two unrelated occurences, other than the fact that they are both affected by the clutch pedal.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Actually, at first I wanted to disagree, but I can agree that we'd feel the timing differences that

great on a chipped car, like mine.

For instance, on saturday we were going somewhere...and I bitched about the throttle being too touchy now that i'm modded, even more difficult to control when you're modded, somewhere between "coool" and "savage" mode (as mentioned elsewhere in this thread.) It was a situation like Keman posted initially in this thread, where you're surprised by a jerky car in front of others.

Now, Keman is saying the timing is cut so significantly, that we'd feel the cut and advancement when it jerks. On a stock car, I don't think timing would be cut <i>that</i> significantly to feel such a sudden jerk in power to the wheels, right?

I swear it's a different beast when cold. You and I know that, some others on here say the same.

Now, this would explain how my car becomes VERY hard to control in the mornings, it being cold <b> and</b> modded enough to feel the difference in power with cut and advanced timing.

Wow, interesting stuff.

I still think REVO helps when you're trying to be VERY smooth, or going WOT. Nothing in between. It actually makes driving smoothly harder than Stock when you're somewhere in the middle.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I've watched the timing advance in real time with the vagcom. It yanks 20+ degrees

the moment you push in the clutch. Let it out.. poof.. it's right back.

This was all part of the clutch switch mod I tried some months ago. Great throttle response, but I kept noticing that the car didn't have as much oomph.

So I hooked up the vag com and went out for a spin. Sure enough. I'm guessing 50+ hp is lost with that mod. So off it came.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:33 PM

You wouldn't notice the timing difference unless you were at full throttle.

Quick Reply: DBW- ARGH!