S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Diagnosis help: car feels like engine misses a beat

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnosis help: car feels like engine misses a beat

I just finished a drive back from Hamilton, NY, to Portland, ME. Car performed fine for the vast majority of the trip, though there were a couple of instances where the engine felt like it missed a step (misfired?) -- like a distinct and sharp loss of power only for a brief flash of time. This usually would happen while cruising in 6th at about 80mph. It happened more often when I gave a little more gas - to pass or when going up hill. I didn't notice the problem happening at WOT. Only once during the trip did the problem happen so seriously that the check engine light flashed. The rest of the time the light didn't go off when the problem appeared.

Because the problem happened over the course of the trip -- many fill ups -- I think "bad gas" can be ruled out. The problem also appeared to happen in other gears as well, so its not gear-related. And I don't have a VAG so I'm unable to provide any numbers for anyone. Does anybody have an idea what might be going on here? Any help would be appreciated. The car is set to go to the dealer Wednesday to see whats up.

For those who pay attention to these things, mileage was 21.9mpg at an average speed of 71 from start to finish (i.e., including slowing for tolls, stops, etc), I stayed around 78-80 for most of the trip. I was pretty happy with that.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sounds like it might be the fuel filter. I was having similar issues......

Mine weren't as noticable as what your describing, but it doesn't hurt to get it checked out. If you start hearing a huming from the rear passenger side of the car it's the fuel filter for sure.

This is just a guess though, you should still take it to the dealer or find someone with a VAG.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I've had this as well. Vag'd it was a coil pack.

The funny thing was, I probably had it before my exhaust mod, but just couldn't feel the hesitation, the thump you get under you butt.

Anyway, I took it to the dealer, had it serviced and checked out, and they couldn't replicate. Hasn't occurred since, and they did have it for a day or two longer than normal, so I don't know what they did (or didn't) do, but I'm not complaining. Haven't had it occur since, and I've driven to and from LA as well.

BTW, if you notice, it's after prolonged periods of driving too...when all the components are very hot.