S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Do you think its wrong to forget the 1000mi. break in if its a leased car??

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you think its wrong to forget the 1000mi. break in if its a leased car??

Is it wrong to just use the car hard before the 1000 mi break in period if its a leased car that will have a max of 20k on it at the end of the lease??
Old 12-03-2003, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yes i do....

Then again i think any car should be broken in. The engine reacts better when it is broken in properly.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I agree, however

I would ignore the break in period on a leased car I don't plan on driving hard "a lot of the time" or a car that isn't as tempting to drive "enthusiastically" all the damn time.

ie. aunt picked up a brand new leased 540i about 8 months ago, and I drove it pretty hard the first week she had it. She didn't care, I knew it wouldn't break...it was all good.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Do you think its wrong to forget the 1000mi. break in if its a leased car??

Definitely break the car in. Better power from a properly broken in motor. Also, what if you wanted to exercise your buy option at the end of your lease? I may very well buy mine if I like it as much as I do now.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Way to potentially hose any future owner...

One of the biggest drawbacks of leasing.

Leaseholders have the attitude of "it's not MY car, why do I care?"

This is, BTW, why free maintenance was added to many cars; lease holders would figure "Why should I pay to have maintenace done? As long as it doesn't self-destruct before the lease is over."

Or to put it another way, if you do this to a leased car I hope you don't mind if the service techs do 6000 RPM clutch drops in your car next time you take it in; after all it isn't <i>their</i> car...
Old 12-03-2003, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default A great machine should never be abused.......

Used to it's intended limits, yes, but not abused
or damaged intentionally
Old 12-03-2003, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Well, yes and no.

quick edit...about the service tech dropping it at 6k since it ISNT their car...

That's a bad analogy. Why? Because the ****ing bastards that abuse my or anyone's car while in for service aren't PAYING FOR IT, while a person who's leasing IS. That's the difference.

Now my post:

First off, you're right. I don't care about the next owner. Why? Because these cars generally get "certified warranties" etc, so it would be the manufacturers responsibility from there, no damage done to the next owner.

Before you say that I'm harming the company etc...well this will motivate them to produce engines that don't need proper break in periods, like nearly all vehicles are today.

Secondly, cars like that don't break. Break in periods really aren't necessary when they're not going to be driven hard often, or you don't care about the long run performance on higher end sedans like that.

The dealers don't care, they tell you to service it every 7500k versus 5k when you have a leased car versus owned.

Any car that I will OWN, I will break in, just because I'm a perfectionist when what I'm "perfecting" is mine or has something to do with me. I personally enjoy breaking in the car, the process is long and it's a form of delayed gratification. On a leased car..there's no fun in it to begin with (I wouldn't ever lease a car that I was adamant about buying), so you might as well drive it hard while you have it. Life's too short.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:04 PM

Yes - the choice is break it in right or simply break it. You won't get 20K if you don't.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:13 PM

When I hear stuff like this I suddenly remember why I don't like to buy used cars.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Please, you're rationalizing...

It's not hurting the company, it's hurting the next owner.

You think that next owner isn't paying for the car that you abused? It's not going to cost Audi anything if the car, like many, <b>doesn't</b> get sold as Audi Assured. It's going to be money out of the pocket of that future owner who always wanted an S4 but couldn't afford it, only to have it start burning oil at 40K miles because the previous owner had no problem beating the snot out of it when it was new and avoiding break-in.

Cars like the 540i don't break? It's a mechanical device. Go to a web site devoted to any car you can name, and guess what, <b>they break</b>. Audi, BMW, Lexus, Toyota, Ford, Chevy. BMW 750i or Chevy Malibu.

Visit the <A HREF="http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e39/">roadfly forum for the E39 5-series</a>. You're not going to find posts saying "this car is indestructable." I suspect to the average domestic car driver, an Audi probably seems bulletproof.

Just because <b>you</b> would never lease a car you would own, someone someday <b>will</b> own whatever car you <b>do</b> lease.

IMHO it's not at all wrong to say that the dealer tech who beats on a car in for service has the same attitude you seem to - "It's not mine, it's under warranty if it breaks, no big deal."

Oh, and I've <b>never</b> seen an owner's manual that had different service intervals for leased vs. owned cars, have you?

Quick Reply: Do you think its wrong to forget the 1000mi. break in if its a leased car??